"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Nap

My dear daughter was up by 6:45 this morning.  That’s a bit earlier than usual, which is really no big deal.  What made it feel early was how late she stayed up last night.  What’s the deal? 

Up until a couple of weeks ago, Alex would get her last feeding and medication about 6:30 and be asleep in her bed by 7:15.  I attributed the change to her discomfort and things changed a little.  She would no longer lay in her bed and fall asleep on her own.  To keep her from crying and getting all stuffy, I started letting her fall asleep in the living room and then carrying her to bed.  The extra time and effort for her to fall asleep pushed things back to about 8.  Last night that child just didn’t fall asleep.  Last night she got her normal feeding and bedtime medication at 6:30 and then went through her normal stiffness and discomfort that accompanies the struggle to relax enough to fall asleep.  The difference was that once she relaxed she didn’t fall asleep.  She just stayed awake.  Drew and I kept looking at each other other as if to say, “What’s the deal?” 

I suppose that if circumstances were different then we may be more strict with a specific bedtime, but we have the freedom to do what she needs.  Finally, at 9:15 she blinked heavy and fell asleep.  After the 2+ hours it took to get there, we were afraid to move her!  We just let her sleep on the couch until we went to bed.  By that time she was so zonked that she didn’t flinch when I carried her to bed. 

It was a different sort of evening, but actually quite enjoyable.  My point?  We all stayed up too late and woke up too early.  Can you say nap time? 

As for yesterday, it was a good one.  Alex doesn’t have therapy on Wednesdays, so we were home all day.  I had determined that it was too chilly to take Alex out for a jog, so we stayed inside most of the day.  Finally, I walked out to check the mail about 2 and realized that it really wasn’t THAT chilly.  I bundled that girl up and we went for a jog.  She stayed quite warm and snug in her stroller and I jogged 3.18 miles in 47 minutes.  It felt great to finally get a little distance back under my belt.  My hip is feeling fine and I can only assume that is from the extra rest, proper stretching and not sitting on my leg like I used to. 

I’m sure I have more to say here, but Alex just looked at me and gave the biggest yawn.  Nap!  Now, before the moment passes! 

No comments: