"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Respect the Body

Am I a hypochondriac?  Maybe, but I don’t think so.  Of course, Drew gets to hear all about my current ailments, so he may disagree.  Am I a self professed internet doctor?  For sure.  Whatever the case, it seems like I always have something to research or self diagnose.  This hurts, that hurts, it all hurts.  On any given day you can pretty much bet on a conversation like this:

Me: This hurts.

Drew:  It’s runner’s leg. 

Me: No, but it hurts right here. 

Drew:  I know.  It’s runner’s leg. 

So, yeah.  Drew’s diagnosis for any ache or pain is ‘runner’s leg’, which I guess isn’t all out wrong, but it surely isn’t helpful or specific.  Last night the conversation continued like this:

Me: But why?  I don’t remember having these aches and pains when I was a teenager and exercising every day. 

Drew: Because you are getting old. 

Hmm.  That’s the truth.  ‘Old’ is a matter of opinion, but he’s right that I’m a bit older than I was, say, 18 years ago.  I will be 33 next week and my almost 33 year old body requires a bit more TLC than my 15 year old body did.  Strange how that happens, right? 

Speaking of my 33rd next week…  I have definitely been working towards my random acts of kindness.  A couple of you have filled me in on what you are doing and I’m loving it.  The reason I’ve not blogged any more of these things is to keep us honest.  True kindness is not done for recognition, but for the genuine kindness that comes from your heart.  God knows what you are doing, you don’t need a banner announcing it to everyone else.  Of course, that doesn’t mean that others can’t know.  There seems to be a balance of kindness & humbleness.  So, instead of telling you some of the things that I (and Alex) have done, I will give a few examples from other sources. 

Last week when I attacked the Girl Scout Cookie table, there was a man in line in front of me.  He did buy a box of cookies from the little girls, but then he gave them an extra dollar as a donation.  It wasn’t needed, required or requested… it was just his kindness. 

I read another article with different suggestions for random acts of kindness.  Some of them were pretty silly or cheesy, but the sentiment remains the same… be kind, just because.  One of the things on this woman’s list was to put $5 on a Wal-Mart or Target gift card the next time you are checking out.  After you have paid, give the gift card to the cashier and ask him/her to keep it at the register to help the next person who comes through the line and doesn’t have enough money.  I like this one because I’ve been that person before.  I’ve had $20 in my pocket and a list of things I had to purchase.  There I was, in Wal-Mart with two small children and keeping a mental tally of my total.  I thought I was right on, but when I got through the line I was 24 cents short.  What do you put back?  Milk? Diapers?  Wipes?  Bread?  I wasn’t buying toys or soda, I was buying the absolute essentials and had to make a quick decision on what we could live without until pay day.  Then, an elderly man behind me handed me a quarter.  A quarter.  That’s all it took for him to lift a weight of worry off of my shoulders.  Kindness. 

Gosh, just last weekend someone special extended extreme kindness to me & Drew.  I hope that my own acts can give someone that warm & fuzzy feeling of knowing someone else cares. 

So, I’m not posting on my own acts of kindness, but I would still love to hear yours.  It’s not bragging or seeking recognition if you only tell me… it’s my birthday present.  “Happy 33rd Birthday, Mandy, I gave a lady at the post office a stamp so she wouldn’t have to wait in the long line.” 

As for yesterday, it was fine.  I was really glad that Drew was at home with us.  I would definitely say that Emma’s birthday was harder for us to handle than the anniversary of her death.  Maybe that is just because her birthday came a week earlier and took the brunt of the blow.  Regardless, thank you all for your kind words and encouragement yesterday.  We are truly blessed with some wonderful friends and family and I am grateful for you all. 

No comments: