"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, April 22, 2013

Can You Believe That?

I’ve had to lay off the blogging for a few days to get my emotions under control.  I’ve been super bummed to have left the beach.  I could go on and on about how I love the coast, but I will not.  Instead, let’s be a little silly. 

When Drew and I got off the plane at XNA, we were not greeted by a kind person with a clipboard.  We had to wait on and gather our own luggage, then we had to trek across the never ending parking lot in the cold to get to our truck instead of boarding a charter bus.  Can you believe that? 

Every morning since we have been home I have stumbled into the kitchen to find that hot coffee was not waiting for me.  I had to actually make my own coffee and wait for it to brew.  When it was done a silver carafe of fresh cream did not magically appear.  Can you believe that? 

I made pork chops and macaroni and cheese for dinner last night.  No matter how I wished, the Kraft box did not come with lobster in my mac & cheese.  Can you believe that? 

Drew mowed the yard yesterday and I went outside to take him some water.  When I went to sit on the porch swing I found that it was covered in yellow pollen and I was not standing in sand.  I wiped off the swing and took a seat.  The yard looked beautiful, but no matter how many times I blinked there were no palm trees in my yard.  Can you believe that? 

I continue to be a bit surprised when we go to bed each night and the bed hasn’t been freshly turned down with a chocolate resting on my pillow.  Can you believe that? 

Oh, how the other half lives.  No, I take that back.  The number of people who live that life of luxury must be much less than half of the population.  A fraction of a percent is probably more accurate.  It is absurdly extravagant and unnecessarily formal.  No matter, for 5 days I lived a live of luxury and pampering. 

Back in my neighborhood I am doing what many other stay at home moms are doing.  I’ve fed and dressed my child, stripped her bed and started a load of laundry.  I’ve made my own coffee and left the bed unmade.  I am perfectly aware that the next time I wander back into my room that the bed will be exactly as disheveled as I left it.  My husband is at work where he will be sitting in front of computer and have a phone glued to his head for a large part of the day.  He will have to drive himself home and when he walks through the door tonight I will fix him a diet Coke in a plastic Razorback cup, not crystal. THIS is my real world. 

The beauty of such vacations?  Stepping out of the norm.  Drew & I had an absolutely beautiful time in a fairy tale world.  Do I miss it?  Sure, but all of the pampering that I’ve just joked about isn’t really what I loved the most.  The most amazing and treasured part of the trip was being on the beach and playing no other role besides that of Drew’s wife.  It’s refreshing and wonderful to simply be Mandy for a while.  I truly and honestly enjoy the company of my husband and loved every moment we spent together.  I couldn’t bring the beach home with me, but there is much to be said for having my best friend with me no matter where in the world we are. 

Now that I’ve confessed my love for Drew (again), let me make one more observation.  There were about 500 people in the Honeywell group in Florida.  Half of those were President’s Club winners and the other half their guests.  There were some very interesting people to meet from all over the world.  China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Australia, UK, Mexico, Canada, etc.  Very interesting people watching and conversing.  Now, step outside the Honeywell group and I found it fascinating.  I guess I was surprised at the number of families at the resort.  What a different world!  None of you will be surprised when I point out that I’m a very hands on mom.  I’ve always preferred to have my girls with me and to interact and experience life with them.  The handful of vacations that Drew & I have been on in our almost 13 years of marriage have been with (and for) our children.  I guess I thought that nanny’s only existed in the movies.  Well, let me tell you, they absolutely exist in real life.  Specifically, the exist in the class of people who can afford to vacation at The Breakers.  I probably stared to long, but I found it so strange to watch mom and dad walking casually while the nanny carried and wrangled the little ones.  It was obvious that the little ones were used to being with the nanny and went to her for any needs or comfort.  Don’t get me wrong, a little help is lovely, but the families that were there with a nanny gave me a different impression.  The nanny wasn’t an extra helper, she was the caregiver.  It was bizarre to me and I think I would love to be a fly on the wall of their mansion to see how they really live their daily lives. 

Back in my world, I am grateful to my child’s full time mommy.  I am grateful to friends and family who step in to help me & Drew and love on Alex.  We are blessed to have you all in our lives on a daily basis.  We are especially blessed to have left Alex in trusted hands for 5 days while Drew & I escaped to the luxurious life.  She was well cared for and showered with attention and I was able to relax knowing that she was in good hands.  Thank you all so much. 

No comments: