"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, April 29, 2013

Good. Just Good.

No, you aren’t reading that wrong.  It is Monday and it is good.  Alex is doing this wonderful new things where she staying awake until between 8 and 9 in the evenings and then she sleeps until 9 or 10 in the morning.  It’s awesome.  It’s no secret that I’ve never been a morning person.  For a good deal of time Drew and I woke up super early so that we could enjoy some time together before the day started.  That seems to have gone away.  I do miss that morning coffee and chit chat, but I’m quite happy with sleeping in each morning. 

This is not a joke.  I am significantly more productive with my day when I sleep until 9ish.  For example, this morning Alex woke up at 9:30.  We did the normal morning routine… change her clothes, clean her up, strip the bed, give a feeding & medications.  Those things are not optional, regardless of how perky I feel.  The difference is that when I’ve had enough sleep I keep going after the mandatory tasks.  I’ve done the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, straightened the living room, done two loads of laundry, gone through the pile of mail, appealed an Insurance decline and written a few notes to put in the mail.  How’s that for productive?  Oh wait, I’ve also been enjoying the sunshine that flows into the house on sunny days like this, AND made sun tea.  Why does iced tea taste so much better when it’s been brewing in the sunshine for a few hours? 

I haven’t heard from Drew this morning, so I’m hoping that he’s having a descent Monday.  I know Monday mornings in an office can be more stressful since there are usually metaphorical fires to put out from the weekend. 

How about some information that nobody really needs to know?  My hair REALLY wants to be curly.  Really bad.  When it is super short then it is relatively easy to blow dry, straighten and style.  I’m aiming to let it grow out so that I can let it be as curly as it would like.  I’ve grown out my hair and cut it all off again about a million times in the last 15 years, so this is not unknown territory.  After my bath on Saturday night, I decided that blow drying and straightening this mop just didn’t sound like much fun, so I didn’t.  You should have seen my do yesterday.  This morning it was even worse.  Alex made fun of me enough times that I finally hung my head over the edge of the tub and washed it.  Now I’m sitting here with wet hair and will have to commit to 20 or 30 minutes to dry and tame it.  Oh, won’t it be wonderful to have enough length to put some goop in it and just let it be crazy curly?  If I try at the current length then I pretty much look like a poodle that hasn’t been groomed in ages. 

I told you that was going to be information that you really didn’t need.  It’s my blog and I’ll bounce if I want to.  (Did you sing that sentence to the tune of “It’s my birthday and I’ll cry if I want to?”) 

Now that I’ve successfully transitioned into the subject of music, I will share my current guitar efforts.  Last week Drew said that he likes it when I play because he knows I’m feeling good.  That is true, but it is also true that playing makes me feel good.  It’s a win/win situation. 

What am I playing?  Corinne Bailey Rae, Otis Redding and Bob Dylan.  Could someone please tell me why I have never really known or loved Bob Dylan before?  He has this wonderful and unique soul that intrigues me.  His lyrics are beautiful and I’ve just barely dipped my toes into the pool of his work.  Love it. 

What moves you?  What touches your soul?  Some call it passion, some call it love, some don’t have a word for it.  Whatever you call it, what is on your list?  Drew and I were talking about this the other day.  My list?  God.  Drew.  Alex & Emma.  The ocean.  Music.  Health. 

Here’s the beauty of passion.  I am a sinner.  I am an imperfect wife.  I am a flawed mother.  I live in land locked Arkansas.  I am an amateur musician.  I have many unhealthy habits.  It’s not about being perfect or perfectly mastering what you love.  It’s just the opposite, I believe.  What moves you and touches your soul inspires you to be a better you, to discover more about yourself, to love yourself and grow your relationships.  It’s beauty in it purest form. 

I best wrap up this post or I am liable to just keep writing all day.  I hope you all are having a beautiful Monday, Alex & I certainly are. 

No comments: