"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I’m Back

Dear Gym,

I’ve missed you.  I thought you might be angry with me for a two week absence, but the time we have spent together in the last few months seems to have strengthened us.  I enjoyed my 45 minutes with you today and will see you again on Thursday.  We have some major miles to make up.  We are up to 70.6 miles for 2013, but I believe it is the 104th day of the year.  Let’s get it on!

Love, Mandy

I quickly acclimated to wearing sandals on vacation and I absolutely refuse to wear socks and shoes unless they are for running.  Those I am always willing to sport. 

april2013 003

Oh, it felt so nice to get back on the treadmill today and realize that my body was strong enough to jump back in.  Yesterday I was researching 5k runs in Arkansas and happened across the Pig Trail Mud Run.  June 1st in Elm Springs, just down the road from our church.  It’s a mud run, which means that not only is the course 3.1 miles long, but there are 15 obstacles along the way that will guarantee every participant is soaking wet and covered in mud… not to mention exhausted.  My first thought was that I wanted Drew to do it with me.  Then I remembered that his knees are crap and can’t handle it.  Let me rephrase, he could do it, he just might need knee replacements when it was over.  I’m actually not exaggerating or joking about that.  I texted my brother Kyle last night, thinking maybe he would be up for it.  He and Misty have been hitting the gym on a regular basis and I thought he might be a great partner.  I forgot that his back is about as great as Drew’s knees.  Scratch that off the list.  Suddenly I began to question whether I could do it.  Could I finish and, if I could, would I be sucking hind tit?  I apologize, but that’s the best way to say I would be the runt of the running litter and dragging my but in last, if at all.  Kyle said he would see if Misty was interested, but now I’m scared of the very idea.  Misty is one tough gal, but I can see her slopping through the mud.  She’s too pretty to get so filthy! 

While I’m on the Kyle subject, let me take the opportunity to give a lecture.  GO TO THE CHIROPRACTOR!  Kyle, Casey and I all have back issues.  The boys have both been very physical workers for years and that has aggravated their pain.  I’m not hauling hay or bags of feed every day, but I have had the pleasure of mommy lifting for the last 10 years.  You already know that I suffered from headaches for years and finally started a chiropractic program last summer when the headaches spread from the top of my head, down my neck, all down my left arm and into my back.  I cant’ even tell you the last time I had any of those issues and therefore I am a believer.  Go to the chiropractor.  Go regularly and don’t stop.  It’s a maintenance issue… maintenance of your body.  I do believe that caring for my spine (and body) now will mean better health as I age.  I know that if my dad could go back 30 years and give this a try that he definitely would.  Do it.  KYLE, GO TO THE CHIROPRACTOR! 

Okay, I think I have that out of my system.  No, wait, I don’t.  I’m going to make Drew an appointment for his initial evaluation and I’m going to do my darnedest to make sure he keeps going. 

There is a great contradiction in my life between western medicine and more natural approaches to health.  On one hand, I know that Alex could not survive her daily life without the multiple medications that she is on.  I am thankful for those medications and for a doctor who is so attentive to her needs.  On the other hand, I think we have all, at some point or another, taken medicine that we probably didn’t need.  How often does this happen?  I heard a statistic the other day that might give a clue.  The United States comprises less than 5% of the world’s population, but we consume more than 50% of the world’s prescription drugs.  Yes, some of this is an issue of access to healthcare, but at least a portion of it has to be  on our shoulders.  We are all too eager to take a pill that will ‘fix’ things.  My general attitude is really beginning to question some parts of how the US approaches health care.  Yes, the chiropractor is a good example for me, but so is exercise.  How about our diets?  Not, not a diet to lose weight.  I’m talking about the diet of things that we put in our bodies every day.  I really believe that our bodies know so much of what we need, we just have to be willing to listen and act appropriately.  Again, I’m not boycotting western medicine, I’m just pointing out that it isn’t necessarily the cure all that we often give it credit for. 

Okay.  Yes.  I’m done.  For now.  I’m stepping off my soap box and giving you a break.  For today. 

What Alex has spent the last 2 days doing.  I keep letting her tear up that old magazine because she’s having fun and it isn’t hurting anything. 

april2013 001

The dogs were clearly keeping their distance, making sure I knew that they weren’t responsible. 

april2013 002

No comments: