"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, April 26, 2013

Stormy

I slept really well last night.  I woke up this morning to the sound of hail outside.  I knew Drew was just across the hall, starting his work day and cringing at the sound of hail.  If you have ever wanted to see Drew cringe in horror, you should be with him during a hail storm.  His truck is 5 years old, but it looks brand new because he takes such care of it.  When balls of ice start falling from the sky, he’s like a protective father watching his beloved child in a fist fight.  Okay, I kid.  A little bit.  His truck is fine and there hasn’t been any more hail thus far.  It’s just a hazy, rainy, stormy kind of day.  Surprisingly, I’m not feeling bummed about the rain today.  We’ve had a fairly good week and I’m okay with the rain… for now. 

I’m revisiting my old idea of hanging all the dirty laundry outside.  The rain cleans it and then, when the sun comes out, it will dry.  It seems like a rational and environmentally friendly plan to me.  Of course, all of our clothes would be yellow with pollen by the time all was said and done.  Guess I will have to stick with the washer and dryer.  Bummer. 

The gym didn’t happen yesterday.  I intended to go, but then Cheryl got here and I got distracted.  Happy Like This was able to help a special family earlier this month and Cheryl delivered a card from them.  After I read the card and soaked in the sight of the sweet baby photo, I just sat on the couch and visited with Cheryl while she and Alex did their work.  I rarely sit and watch Alex do therapy, so it’s nice to do sometimes.  Of course, when have you ever known me to turn down the opportunity for grown up conversation?  Granted, I could converse with a brick wall, but that’s not the point.  My point is that I’m about to brag on Cheryl.  Sometimes I hesitate to get into these things on my blog, but I feel like I need to say it.  So…

Cheryl is pretty wonderful.  Funny enough, she was working at the very first therapy clinic that Alex ever went to, back in 2004.  Our appointment wasn’t with her, but I clearly remember watching her work with a child as we waited for our therapist.  Want to know a secret?  She intimidated me.  Yep.  You see, Cheryl has this wonderful way about her.  She is very composed and in control (or so it seems to me), the kids are getting effective therapy and miraculously everyone has a good time.  Maybe this was amazing to me because I was a young mom who felt anything but composed and in control. 

I’m telling you all of this because I want to give Cheryl a pat on the back.  I very much appreciate the way she has treated our girls and our family over the years.  As I have come to know her as more than just a therapist, I have gained even more respect for her.  She’s a Christian woman, rock star mom, loving wife, dedicated therapist and my friend.  I look up to her and am thankful to know her. 

Hey Cheryl, I could have said all of this to you in private, but I think that the world (or my 60-70 daily readers) deserved to know that you rock. 

No comments: