"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, May 10, 2013

75%

I can honestly say that I saw a marked difference in Alex’s breathing yesterday.  If we are to assume that this new patch dries up saliva, then we can come to the decision that a large majority of her loud breathing, coughing and gagging was due to excess saliva that she can’t swallow.  I would go so far as to say that she sounded (to my untrained ear and observation skills) 75% better yesterday. 

Of course, as luck would have it, she picked it off yesterday evening.  I was surprised that she did it, since she hadn’t so much as noticed that it was there all day.  I salvaged it and put it back on with a new princess band aid.  She fell asleep in my arms last night, so I know she didn’t lay in bed and pick it off while falling asleep.  Somehow, though, she woke up without it this morning.  She even pointed out to me that it was gone. 

I can’t say how long it had been off, but I can say that her breathing sounds cruddy this morning.  I gave her fair warning that we were going to put a new one behind the other ear and that it goes there to help her breathe better.  She didn’t get mad.  What?  We are only an hour in, but she hasn’t messed with it so far. 

We weren’t actually due for a fresh patch until tomorrow morning, but what else was I to do?  If we can get into a routine of a new patch every three days then this will just be one day lost and shouldn’t be a big deal. 

Sunday is Mother’s Day and I’m not sure what our plans are.  Drew asked me what I wanted to do, but I didn’t really have an answer.  Last Mother’s Day was a bit difficult for me, being the first without Emma.  I guess that is still on my mind or I wouldn’t even be bringing it up.  I told Drew that the point of Mother’s Day was to be with my husband and children and they had to be nice to me.  Don’t you think that’s right?  Well, it might be backfiring.  Drew told me last night that he was going to over expose me to all his annoying habits, that way when he doesn’t do them on Sunday it will be more special.  Wait, I don’t think that’s how it should work. 

I didn’t sleep worth a darn last night.  I wanted to.  I love sleeping during a storm, but it just didn’t happen.  The most annoying thing of all?  Drew’s 15 alarm clocks that start going off at 4:30am.  He even fixed his phone to do this weird flash thing when he gets a text or reminder.  So, picture this… Mandy is restless all night and would appear to finally be asleep when, all of a sudden, an alarm starts going off at about a billion decibels and flashing a light that could be compared to the flashing light on a fire alarm.  Restful, right?  No.  I think I may have yelled during that first alarm, but my frustration didn’t end there.  He alternates the alarm on his phone and the actual alarm clock to go off every five minutes until he gets up.  This morning that took about an hour.  Yep, alternating annoying alarm sound and blaring radio.  I think we can all give thanks now that I didn’t smother him and break both alarms.

Drew did remember to take the trash to the curb before he left for work.  I’m going to say that that earned him a little bit of credit back, but there is still a deficit because of the never ending alarms.  Hey honey, I love you, but we must do something about the alarm situation. 

As I mentioned, it stormed pretty good last night.  Yesterday day was different, though.  The sun was shining and you all know what that means.  We decided to go for a walk after her first feeding and walked 2 and a half miles.  Three or four hours later, the sun was still shining and begging us to come back outside.  So… we went for another walk.  2 more miles.  We both enjoy the sunshine and getting out of the house, not to mention I added more than 4 1/2 miles to my walk/jog/run total yesterday.  Sweet.  It’s awfully yucky outside right now, thanks to the massive rains and flash floods last night.  We will just go with the day and see if it is nice enough for us to take a walk.  Drew is at work today and not working from home.  Wet weather, no therapy, a sleep deprived Mommy and no Drew… this could be a long day. 

No comments: