"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Never too late

I’ve shared with you my new found love of Bob Dylan.  I’m very much enjoying discovering his music and taking in his free hippie vibe.  Dad says I’ve missed my calling as a hippie.  I say, it’s never too late! 

Since today is Mother’s Day, I decided that the perfect song was Forever Young.  If you don’t know it (and I’m pretty sure I’m the only human on the planet who did not) then you should look up the lyrics.  It’s beautiful and I couldn’t think of a better song to express what a mother wishes for her child.  To all of the mothers out there, I know that you wish all of these things for your child and as they age they will realize that they wish the same things for you.  Thank you, Mr. Dylan, for putting these words to music for all of us to hear. 

As for my Mother’s Day, it’s lovely.  Drew got up with Alex, let me sleep in and had hot coffee waiting for me when I got up at, um, 11:45.  Even better?  He and Alex must have worked all morning on saying this, because when he asked her to say it, she said, “Happy Mother’s Day".  Her own sweet, cracked, beautiful and fragile voice.  I’m in love.  I know that both of my girls are here today.  How do I know? 

mothersday2013 001

That is my sweet Alex and an Arkansas Sportsman’s magazine ripped to shreds.  Alex obviously did the physical shredding, but that is definitely a reminder of my sassy, paper ripping Emma.  She is here, I just know it. 

In case you have forgotten how absolutely precious Alex is…

mothersday2013 005

mothersday2013 006

mothersday2013 007

Alex would be a hippie with me, I am sure.  She would sit with me on the dock of the bay and sing along with my guitar.  Of course, sitting in a chair with wheels on a dock over the ocean probably isn’t the picture of safety.  Okay, so I may need to sit on a sidewalk and play my guitar, but Alex would still sit with me… within view of the ocean, of course. 

I’m dangerously close to analyzing my true hippie-ness, so I best stop here.  My right winged husband might be on the verge of panic with all of this hippie talk.  No, definitely not.  Opposites attract, right?  We share common beliefs in the things that really matter, but we avidly avoid political conversations. 

Drew heard something about a new research article the other day.  The research was on what makes for a healthy marriage.  For the record, we got a 100% on the test.  Obviously God & science agree that we are meant to be!  One of the things that this research cited as important to a healthy marriage?  Not talking politics.  Check.  We don’t talk about that stuff.  We discuss issues, but we don’t get down to the nitty gritty, because we may be saying the same thing and still get irritated with each other in the details.  I wish I could find this article to share with you all, it was very interesting. 

Oh, the bouncing that I’m doing here.  I’ll stop.  For now. 

Happy Mother’s Day to my mom and to all the mom’s out there.  In the words of Bob Dylan, “May God bless and keep you always… and may you stay forever young.” 

No comments: