"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, May 30, 2013

That Computer

Alex really uses her computer quite often.  I am continually thankful that we were able to get this device while she was still talking a good bit, because the computer was slowly filled with things that she really did say and ask.  I am also grateful for Heidi and how she works with Alex to encourage her conversational skills and express her thoughts, wants and needs.   Understand that Alex says almost nothing these days.  I would say that maybe once a month she is able to mumble a word or two that I can understand.  Those moments are precious, but very rare now.  So, understand that the term “Alex says” refers to her ability to push a button on her computer and will speak the words for her. 

What does Alex talk about?  Sometimes she comments on things.  Sometimes she tells me about things she has done.  She is constantly changing the television channel.  She frequently plays her music… LOUD.  Lots of times she asks to watch football.  Multiple times a day she asks where daddy is.  Every now and then she will say things that tug on my heart strings. 

This week’s favorite thing is to tell me about Tessa’s birthday party.  She and Heidi created the story page on Tuesday so that Alex can recount the party to others.  She’s having such fun with it that I recorded the audio to send to Casey & Sasha yesterday. 

“Where is Daddy?”  She asks that multiple times a day and I always tell her where he is and how long until he will be home.  That is often followed by “I miss Daddy.”  To that I tell her that Daddy also misses her and will be happy to see her this evening. 

The “I miss” button (as well as other buttons about feelings) can be paired with numerous people or things.  I like this because she can be a bit more original and expressive.  When she says, “I miss Emma,” it makes my heart ache a little.  These aren’t bad moments, they are just opportunities for us to talk about Sissy.  Alex doesn’t get upset and seems to enjoy the chance to talk about her a little.  I may recall to her something that I remember about Emma or something that I miss and she smiles with me as we reminisce. 

On a lighter note… “Can we watch football?” has been a common question in the last couple of weeks.  I swear, that girl has a love for the game.  Either that or she has such a love for her daddy that she loves what he loves.  I always tell her that there is not any football right now and we will have to wait a couple more months.  To that she always says, “That’s a bummer!” 

I think she forgot about the buttons that allow her to change the television channels… until this week.  When the television is on, she doesn’t watch anything for more than a few minutes before she changes it.  Yesterday she spent a good 10 minutes listening to swing music on the Big Band music channel.  I think she is just doing this next thing to annoy me.  Dora.  Yes, Dora the Explorer.  I really dislike that show.  In fact, I don’t really care for many of the shows on Nickelodeon.  I just know that she is sensing my distaste and taking great pleasure in leaving it on that show for extended periods of time. 

Since I’m talking about Dora, I have to elaborate a bit.  She’s just plain annoying.  I know she is just an animated, Spanish speaking preschooler, but she packs a huge punch of irritating.  If you aren’t familiar with the show, let me enlighten you.  She has a monkey friend named Boots.  She carries a backpack with her all the time and it always just what she needs for her adventure.  A map is always involved, to help her find her way to wherever she needs to be.  My first thought is to question why this girl’s parents let her roam all over the country with a monkey.  I mean, really.  My second thought is that she is quite bossy.  The premise of the show is that the children respond and participate in helping Dora on her journey.  If she needs her backpack then she sings this annoying little ditty, “Backpack!  Backpack!”  Then she wants you to say it.  She literally yells, “Say backpack!  Say it!  Say it!”  I was sitting here with Alex yesterday and suddenly felt like I was being scolded by Dora.  I felt like screaming, “Okay! Backpack!  There, I said it, so leave me alone!” 

Enough about Dora.  I think you get the point that the show annoys me greatly and Alex takes great pleasure in my discomfort.  It’s a good thing that we are in the habit of turning off the television periodically throughout the day… because there’s only so much Dora that this momma can handle. 

As for the music on her computer, she seems to enjoy it the most at maximum volume.  She has a Taylor Swift CD and a Scotty McCreery CD on there, but she likes her Christmas music just as much.  Yes, it’s almost June, but who cares.  I probably wouldn’t like it so much if she was listening to just any Christmas song, but her favorite is ‘Mary Did You Know?’ and I agree that it is a beautiful song.  Even I don’t think it should be limited to a particular season. 

7 comments:

jmcr foundation said...

Even me too like to hear songs in my pc with full volume.

christian websites

lynford drozario said...

This is an app for music lovers on apple app store.

JMCR Foundation said...


Thank you for visiting our website

Thank you for visiting our website, we hope the following links will assist with any inquiry you have.

Mailing Address:
34490 Ridge Rd
Willoughby Ohio 44094

Phone number:
1-440-278-4568

Customer Service, Products or Partner Relations Inquiries:
info@jmcrfoundation.org
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

jmcr foundation said...


Thank you for visiting our website

Thank you for visiting our website, we hope the following links will assist with any inquiry you have.

Mailing Address:
34490 Ridge Rd
Willoughby Ohio 44094

Phone number:
1-440-278-4568

Customer Service, Products or Partner Relations Inquiries:
info@jmcrfoundation.org
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

jmcr foundation said...


Thank you for visiting our website

We hope the following links will assist with any inquiry you have.

Mailing Address:
34490 Ridge Rd
Willoughby Ohio 44094

Phone number:
1-440-278-4568

Customer Service, Products or Partner Relations Inquiries:
info@jmcrfoundation.org
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

jmcr foundation said...


Thank you for visiting our website

we hope the following links will assist with any inquiry you have.

Mailing Address:
34490 Ridge Rd
Willoughby Ohio 44094

Phone number:
1-440-278-4568

Customer Service, Products or Partner Relations Inquiries:
info@jmcrfoundation.org

1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

jmcr foundation said...


Thank you for visiting our website

we hope the following links will assist with any inquiry you have.

Mailing Address:
34490 Ridge Rd
Willoughby Ohio 44094

Phone number:
1-440-278-4568

Customer Service, Products or Partner Relations Inquiries:
info@jmcrfoundation.org

1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.