"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, June 6, 2013

100

This has been a week of number titled posts.  15+ was Alex’s marathon sleeping session after getting sick Monday.  Then there was the lovely number 13 for our anniversary.  So, you may be asking, what is 100?  Well, let me tell you.  How about miles?  Yesterday I passed 100 miles for 2013.  I would say that majority of those miles have been walking and only some jogging.  Either way, the miles have added up to more than 100!  Yay me!  Yesterday was the 156th day of the year, but I’m still pumped to have hit 100. 

Tomorrow is Alex’s neurology appointment in Kansas City.  I put Alex in her stroller this morning and took her outside to help clean up my truck.  I had the intention of using the shop vac, but it smelled funny.  So… we loaded up and went to the car wash to vacuum instead.  I would like everyone to know that, as of this particular moment in time, my truck is not full of junk.  No trash, no toys, no blankets or other random junk.  Mark this day in the history books. 

We will leave early in the morning to get to KC in time for Alex’s appointment.  On Monday morning Drew is flying to Canada for work and won’t be home until Thursday evening.  It’s been a while since he was gone for work.  I don’t ever like it when he’s gone, but I do think that being apart every now then is a good thing… it gives us time to miss each other.  It’s only a few days, but Alex surely will not like it.  She is all about her daddy lately.  There have been moments in the last 10 years where I knew she was a mommy’s girl, but there have also been moments where I felt certain that she only tolerated me long enough to get to daddy.  For now I would say she’s a daddy’s girl who is still being nice to mommy.  She still snuggles in my lap in the evenings before bed and that feeds my ego a bit.  I’m actually not sure if she actually prefers my snuggles or if she is just being nice.  Either way, I’m cool with it. 

Hmm… what else is going on?  I’m still playing the guitar.  The more time I spend with it and the better I get, the more I can justify having a Taylor someday :-)  I’ve been playing some Jack Johnson and enjoying it.  I think it’s amazing how I can try and try and play and play and then… all of a sudden… something happens where the song sounds like it’s mine.  Something just clicks and it sounds a bit less like pathetic karaoke and a little more like Mandy. 

The first song I learned to play on the guitar was Wagon Wheel and I have Casey to thank for that.  Darius Rucker recently released a version of it, but it doesn’t come close to Old Crow Medicine Show.  OCMS is so folk and awesome that it just feels wrong when Darius even tries.  No matter where you have heard it, I bet you didn’t know this… Bob Dylan wrote it.  I knew there had to be a reason that I loved it so.  He ‘sketched’ the song decades ago, but never recorded it.  From what I’ve read, the only way anyone has ever heard him sing it is on a bootlegged recording where he mumbles a great deal of the lyrics.  Fast forward to this century and Ketch (from OCMS) finished writing the song.  How cool is that?  He pretty much co-wrote a hit song with Bob Dylan.  Rock on OCMS, I love you a little more right now. 

OCMS was actually at the AMP in Fayetteville in early May.  I really wanted to go, but it didn’t work out.  Maybe I can catch them again someday. 

No comments: