"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Farmer’s Market

Alex & I went to the Farmer’s Market yesterday.  In Fayetteville the Farmer’s Market is quite an event, but in Siloam is just a handful of booths in the park downtown.  Yesterday there was also a guy playing his guitar and singing and we enjoyed that.  We loaded up on fresh produce, getting some yellow squash, zucchini, new potatoes, red onions and asparagus. 

I have recently realized how much I like asparagus, but I had never made it myself.  When I saw it yesterday, I figured it was worth a try.  Here’s what I did and it was so so good. 

Wash the asparagus well and trim the ends.  I don’t think that I trimmed quite enough this time, because the ends were a little tough.  I just trimmed of an extra inch or two as I was eating and next time I will know better.  One thing I read suggested that the best place was about 1/3 of the way up the stalk.  Just to be clear, you are trimming the bottom of the stalk and leaving the ‘leaves’ on the top of the stalk alone.  My stalks were quite thin, but if you have thicker stalks of asparagus then you may want to use a vegetable peeler to remove a bit of the outer skin. 

With everything washed and trimmed… I preheated the oven to 450.  I used my olive oil sprayer to coat the asparagus with (or you can just drizzle a tiny bit) olive oil and then I sprinkled it with sea salt and pepper.  Toss to evenly coat, spread the stalks out on a cookie sheet and put in the oven.  Set your timer for 15 minutes, but reach in with some tongs and toss things around twice during that time. 

I was really really happy with how it turned out and highly recommend the recipe.  I don’t care for any dip and I chose not to use any lemon juice.  You could probably tinker and come up with your favorite method.  I served the asparagus with a piece of pan seared salmon and really enjoyed it. 

No comments: