"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

It’s me again

I didn’t make it to the gym.  I had full intentions, but then I remembered we were out of coffee and toothpaste, so I decided to just take my hour to pick up a few things at the store and go to the library.  It was still a break for me and that was nice.  I went to the library in search of a Hemingway book.  I have never read any of his work and felt like I might be missing out on something.  You can only read so many mainstream romance books before you need something of substance.  I chose To Have and Have Not and have already read the first chapter.  He’s not terribly wordy, but it was written in the 30’s and is set in Havana, so the vernacular takes some adjusting to.  I’ll let you know how it goes. 

I did do some decent reading in high school and I will give all of that credit to Mr. Burke.  He was my AP Literature teacher during my senior year and he was something pretty awesome… definitely my favorite teacher ever.  There was a certain level of expectation, trust and exploration in his class and it opened my eyes.  Because of him I’ve had a love for Thoreau for the last 15 years.  I can’t say that I loved everything we read (hello, Dante’s Inferno), but I am grateful for the exposure and the confidence to give pretty much any book a try.  Shout out to Mr. Burke for being awesome!  

In addition to my first ever Hemingway book, I checked out a yoga DVD.  This afternoon I put the dogs outside, laid in the floor with Alex and did the 20 minute beginner session.  She thought it was funny, but I had forgotten that yoga actually does require some effort.  In case you were wondering, I pretty much rock this pose. 

yoga

Okay, fine.  It’s called the corpse pose and you pretty much just lay there and breathe.  I’m really good at it, though.  Too bad nothing else in yoga is this simple. 

I wasn’t much in the mood for a long walk, but Alex and I were both tired of being inside.  So… I put Alex in the stroller, walked around the block once (keeping my eyes peeled for slithering vermin), checked the mail and then sat on the front porch with her for a while.  A little fresh air is always a good thing, but I think that the rain that came through and the lower temperatures are giving my sinuses some trouble.  I had a pressure headache last night and Alex’s breathing sounds a little nasal today.  Do you think I could strap her stroller to a treadmill, hit the button and then jump on the treadmill next to her?  It’s easier on the allergies, but would probably put a damper on the bonding time with my favorite girl. 

I forgot to mention this this morning, but Drew and I totally turned the television off at 9 last night.  Okay.  Fine.  Drew turned it off.  We were watching How I Met Your Mother on Netflix and I really wanted to watch just one more episode, but NO.  Drew held us to our agreement and we were both asleep by 10. 

Here’s something that bothers me…  I’m no English major (obvious by my daily grammar and punctuation errors) but I do remember a thing or two.  I recall that every paragraph (or sentence, for that matter) should not start with the same word.  I suck at that.  I.  I.  I.  Everything I say on the this blog starts with “I”.  Someday I still hope to write a book and if that book is a memoir then I just might title it “I”.  It would be fitting.  Hey Mandy, narcissistic much? 

No comments: