"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Stuff you don’t need to know

It’s my blog and I’ll ramble if I want to.  Alex and I are having a good day and I just feel like rambling. 

Alex had speech earlier today and then we went to the salon because I needed a trim.  My hair is growing out really well, but I don’t want to take any chances on accidentally growing a mullet!  Have I ever mentioned how much I just love Kendra?  I have?  Well, I’m gonna do it again.  I know she loves me, but I like to pretend that she loves me as much as I love her.  She’s been doing my hair for about 5 years and I just love her.  We talk and vent and laugh and cry and talk some more.  Today wasn’t a crying day, it was just fun.  Alex loves going to see Kendra and was very patient to sit in her stroller while I was pampered.  Let me also give Kendra a shout out for getting into awesome shape and looking like a rock star.  I’m telling you, exercise shapes the body, but it also shapes the mind and mental health.  That’s a rant for another day, though.  Oh, and my hair looks awesome, too.  Of course. 

In other news… it got hot.  It’s 93 degrees and that’s all fun and giggles as long as you a) have air conditioning or b) are in the pool/at the beach.  Thank God we have air conditioning, because the pool is taunting me.  If I hadn’t promised Drew that I wouldn’t take a chance on getting Alex in the pool by myself then I just might try it.  That leaves us with air conditioning and I’m extra grateful.  Remember that we had our entire heat/air unit replaced last fall?  It’s awesome.  Our electricity bills have been consistently $50 cheaper since it was installed.  Now that summer temperatures have arrived, it is keeping up wonderfully.  Last summer it didn’t matter what the thermostat was set on, the unit struggled and never quite kept up.  Right now it is set on 73 degrees and guess what?  It’s 73 degrees in the house.  That’s awesome since it’s 93 degrees outside.  I think having the attic insulated several months ago is also helping the cause.  Wahoo for air conditioning. 

Want to know who else is thankful for the A/C?  The dogs.  I just let them in and they aren’t even running around and playing.  They are all three passed out.  Toto is in the corner, Foose is on the kitchen tile and Mac is on the back of the couch like a cat. 

It’s no secret that I have a love for the Ford Mustang.  My first car was a 1968 Mustang and I have never stopped loving it.  Part of that love is just nostalgia, because on days like today you do NOT want to be dependant on an old car with no A/C.  Believe me.  It didn’t matter how hot & sexy the car was (and believe me, it was), summer time was brutal.  If it was hot outside then it was really hot in the Mustang.  There was no fabric upholstery (thank goodness for the style factor, anyway) and that meant that wearing shorts would result in burning the back of my thighs.  Regardless of what I was wearing, I was probably going to be sweaty and stuck to the seat by the time I got where I was going. 

If I ever have the pleasure of owning another classic, it will be reserved for those handful of days each spring and handful of days each fall when the weather is absolutely perfect.  Every other day of the year I will look at my car, comment on the pure awesomeness of it and then get in my new Mustang and crank the A/C. 

One more air conditioner topic… we have two window units in the garage that we will no longer be needing.  I need to plug them in and make sure all is still working fine, but I feel sure that they are.  One is a 12,000 BTU Frigidaire that we paid $400 for last summer.  The other is a Haier 8,000 BTU that we paid $200 for in the summer of 2011.  I’m hoping we can get close to half of that back by listing them on Craigslist, but I thought I would mention it here just in case anyone is needed.  If you need one or both then I think you know how to get in contact with me. 

Want to know something that irritates the you know what out of me?  My elderly neighbor that lives behind us that is completely obsessed with cutting down any and every tree that could possibly ever fall near his home… even if it isn’t his tree.  Oh, and the fact that he bullies the other neighbors and the city to do something about it.  Yes, that annoys me a great deal and I best quit talking about it right now. 

Wait, before I stop there, let me say how grateful I am for another neighbor who has never been anything but kind.  We really have a lovely neighborhood and some great neighbors.  I suppose that living in any neighborhood is something akin to having a roommate… you live in close quarters and sometimes where will be disagreements. 

This has nothing to do with anything, but talking about being irritated reminds me of a few other things that I don’t like.  I really dislike sitting in a chair (or on a potty) that has already been warmed by someone else’s bum.  It grosses me out.  I really dislike the car that drives 5 below the speed limit in the passing lane on the highway, just to keep pace with a similar car in the right lane and block everyone else behind them.  I can almost overlook it, giving the benefit of the doubt that they are just driving safely, BUT… when that car finally scoots back to the right lane and decides to go 10 over the speed limit… that just annoys me. 

Vacation.  Thank you, Ann, for the wonderful suggestion of Blanchard Springs Caverns.  The do have a tour that is wheelchair friendly and spacious enough that I don’t think I would have claustrophobia issues.  I’ve never been there, but I have been to the white river and Mt. View and love that area.  It’s about a 4 hour drive from here and a definite possibility.  My other thought is St. Louis.  It’s about a 5 hour drive and there is plenty to do there.  I’m thinking about the zoo and maybe the water park.  If anyone thinks, even for a moment, that I would consider going up in the arch then you don’t know me and my issues with small spaces.  The view may be amazing, but I would see no such view if I hyperventilated and passed out!  I also have family in St. Louis that I’d love to see.  I think that is about the farthest that we could travel comfortably and, of course, it would all be dependent on how Alex was feeling at that moment.  No plans yet, but a couple of of fun ideas that we are considering.  Sometimes thinking about these things is as much fun as doing them.  Thinking & dreaming are free, so maybe it’s even more fun :)

See?  I told you I was going to ramble and I have done just that.  You are welcome. 

No comments: