"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday

Alex hung out with Poppy & Grandpa yesterday morning while Drew and I went to the Happy Like This board meeting.  I’m not sure if it was the hometown restaurant, the company or just the pleasure of having a grown up moment… but that was the best coffee I’ve had in a long time.  We talked about necessary HLT business and then just enjoyed the company and a ridiculously yummy breakfast.  Alex had fun with Poppy and Grandpa and when we got home we had the best nap ever! 

I’ve been thinking about a couple of things… so I’m going to share them with you. 

One.  I’m thankful that I did not grow up in the internet age.  Growing up is hard enough without having social media to exaggerate it all.  While I participate now, I am aware that a small portion of social media is keeping in touch with friends and a large part is seeking attention.  I will never stop being thankful that 13 year old Mandy didn’t have the pressure and drama of something like Facebook. 

Two.  I seem to have adopted an attitude towards weddings.  This has nothing to do with anyone that I know, just how our culture has turned weddings into an industry.  I had lots of fun planning my wedding in 2000, but it was done with the help of a few bridal magazines, lots of browsing in stores and plenty of talking with the ladies in my life.  Now the internet is overflowing with ideas, ideas and more ideas.  I am astonished at how much money some people spend on a wedding and reception these days!  Let me tell you this… my wedding was lovely and so very “Mandy & Drew”, but even I was struck by the contrast between the fun of a wedding and the reality of being married when that wedding was over.  Knowing this from personal experience makes me even more skeptical for others… especially the big, over done, extravagant and dramatic weddings.  That’s why I joke that running away to elope is such a great idea.  Let me take that back right now.  A wedding is a celebration of the marriage of two people who love each other and are making a life long commitment.  I do think it’s important to share that moment with one’s parents, family and loved ones.  I missed my cousin Kristin’s wedding a few weeks ago, but I’ve seen pictures and heard the stories and I think her wedding was exactly perfect. 

Three.  I have an opinion about everything.  More than that… I want more information to further form my opinion on everything.  The internet makes is so easy to be nosy.  Ah, Google, how wonderful and evil you are.  So, let me take this moment to issue a permanent disclaimer:  I know that I can’t believe everything I read/watch online and no matter how much I think I know or understand… I do not.  I am aware of this and apologize for my past, present and future infractions of opinion.  It shouldn’t be so hard to keep this in mind since I have this strange thing called a blog and share so much of myself on it.  As much as I share here (and I admit, it’s a lot), there are plenty of things that I do not share.  I would be offended by anyone who thought they really & completely knew me because of what I write here, so I am making an effort to extend the same courtesy to others. 

Four.  This one is quite serious, so pay attention.  I have come to the conclusion that pretty much every show on Nickelodeon is completely and utterly annoying.  I also think that Alex continually turns the channel to these shows just to annoy me.  If she flips the channel to something that I would actually enjoy watching, then the worst thing I could possibly do is express this to her.  I know this from experience and how she immediately flips the channel to something unbearable!  She thinks she is so funny. 

Okay, enough of this.  Drew is mowing the yard, so I feel like I need to do something productive.  The good news is that since I have already loaded the dishwasher, I have an excellent excuse to not do laundry right now.  Too bad that the running dishwasher can’t provide an acceptable excuse to not pick up the living room or run the vacuum. 

No comments: