"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, June 3, 2013

Thirteen

I’m not afraid of the number thirteen.  Some feel superstitious about it, but Drew & I have worked hard to get where we are and I’m not going to shy away.  Call it whatever you want, I am calling it my thirteenth wedding anniversary. 

I started a post this morning, declaring my refusal to fall into the trap of sappy talk that so many do on their anniversary.  My objection is that if you can only manage to say/do sweet things one day a year then it doesn’t ring true.  Then, I found myself getting all sappy.  Hopefully I do a respectable job of giving my Drew props on a regular basis and this will not come across as the obligatory ‘say sweet things on your anniversary’ cliché.  

Drew and I met and started dating in 1997, just months before we each turned 17.  We have never been an on again/off again kind of couple, so we have a solid 16+ years in the bank.  That’s not to say that we haven’t had bumps.  Oh, the bumps we have had!  Heck, just this weekend we spent all day Saturday annoyed with one another.  Dad came over on short notice and sat with Alex for a couple of hours so Drew & I could go on a little date.  That helped (or at least the ice cream did!) and I thought all was well.  Then, on Sunday afternoon we both had an “Ah Ha!” moment.  We finally realized what was bothering us individually and it had nothing to do with each other. 

Me:  So we don’t hate each other! 

Drew:  I never hate you, but sometimes I don’t like you very much. 

Me: Oh honey, sometimes I don’t like you either! 

That may sound ugly, but it is anything but.  I will argue to my death that one slice of a healthy marriage is being able to disagree, have a spat  and love each other anyway. 

In the spirit of sappy anniversary talk, how about a some photos?  I actually pulled out a huge box of old things and hit the jackpot with these photos. 

1997 (this one on the river was the day that Drew first told me he loved me)

old pics 017 

old pics 015

Our senior photos

old pics 031

I adore this photo, taken the fall of 1997

old pics 027

1998

old pics 011

1999, I think.  It was our freshman year of college

old pics 007

2000, our wedding

june32013 004

2003.  There are obviously no photos of us together when Drew was deployed, but these letters kept us going. 

old pics 032

December 2003, our young family of 3, taken when Drew came home from Kuwait for a 2 week leave.

old pics 004

2005, as a family of 4

old pics 010

2005 or 2006? 

old pics 003

2010, one of the few pictures of just us.  When our girls were little we had to squeeze (literally, we are squished) these shots in and even in this one you can see Emma to the side. 

dec2010 032

Ft. Walton Beach, 2009

july 2009 194

2010, Drew’s 30th birthday

springsummer2010 154

Disney World, 2011

disney2011day3 007

April 2013

june32013 005

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Drew has gotten better looking with age.  Yep.  I’m a lucky gal.  I’m also feeling quite satisfied with being the crazy camera lady right now.  How else would I be able to pull out 16+ years worth of our life together in one morning? 

Dear Drew, I look forward to many many more years of photos, memories and life with you.  Happy Anniversary. 

No comments: