"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thursday

On Monday I believe I reported that the water in the pool was 76 degrees.  Yesterday afternoon it was reading 86 degrees!  That’s a quick warm up, if I do say so myself.  As for Alex, this is the conversation we had about a million times yesterday.

Alex: Go swimming.

Me: Not today, we have to wait for Mrs. Cheryl tomorrow. 

Alex: Tomorrow. 

Me: Yes, tomorrow afternoon. 

Alex: Today.

Me: No, tomorrow. 

Alex: Tomorrow. 

Me: Yep, tomorrow. 

Alex: Today. 

I think you can guess how the rest of the conversation went.  We had similar conversations about Daddy coming home. 

Alex and I have been doing fine this week, but I’m reminded a bit of when Drew was deployed to Ft. Sill for 2 years.  There was a good deal of time where I felt like the girls just tolerated me.  They were all about Daddy and when Daddy was coming home.  He couldn’t even get through the front door before they were attacking him with kisses and hugs.  Sometimes I felt like saying, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!”  (You really have to read that Jan Brady style, “Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!”)  Anyway, I’m getting those vibes this week. 

I actually just deleted a good deal of writing about being a stay at home mom because I don’t want to offend anyone who hasn’t chosen the life that I have.  Suffice it to say that I am grateful beyond words to have spent the last 10 years as a full time mom.  I am beyond grateful for a husband who has been/is the provider for our family and a hero to our girls.  Rock on, Daddy! 

Moving on… remember the list I posted last summer of free or cheap (but still fun) things to do with Alex?  We did a lot of those things and had fun.  Well, I found another list and I’m now feeling two things about these sorts of lists. 

1) we already do 90% of these things

2) Alex can’t do the rest

You can find your own lists like this with a simple internet search, if you are interested.  As for us, we play lots of games, do puzzles, read books, watch movies, snuggles, make pallets in the floor, go for walks, do crafts, etc.  Beginning today we will add the pool to our list of fun things. 

Dottie, Jessica and JR came over yesterday and we had dinner together.  I pulled out an old basket of toys for JR to play with and he and Alex had a good time discovering treasures.  Dinner was yummy and the company was lovely. 

Without going into more detail about my elderly neighbor with the tree issue… the tree has been cut down and he is happy… for now. 

No comments: