"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday

We have been two cleaning/organizing girls this morning.  Alex is supervising my work and sometimes we take a break to play a game.  Somehow we have a SpongeBob memory game, a Disney memory game and a Barbie memory game.  This morning she chose Disney princesses.  If all of the images are unique then she does great, but the princess version is difficult because many of the images are very similar.  For example, there are multiple cards with Cinderella on them, but only two match exactly.  It’s harder, so we worked together instead of competing. 

The organizing and cleaning is inspired by the fact that JR will be with us all weekend.  It’s been a long time since I’ve been responsible for toddler!  My house isn’t toddler proof and I’m starting to doubt my ability to keep up with a 2 1/2 year old!  It’s a good thing that Drew will be here.  I do better with babies that aren’t mobile, he does better with toddlers who can tell you what they need.  Of course, I should probably mention that Drew & I haven’t actually fed a child in years.  I joked with Jessica about how I would need detailed instructions, but she assured me that JR will tell me when he is hungry and will eat pretty much anything.  It’s a good thing or I might just want him to drink 8 ounces of Pediasure every 2 1/2 hours! 

I told you about my yummy asparagus from Tuesday evening, so now I have to talk about last night’s dinner.  I roasted some new potatoes the same way I did the asparagus.  I washed them and cut them into quarters, drizzled them with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and pepper, tossed to coat and then cooked them at 450 for 40 minutes (toss them around a couple times during cooking).  I didn’t have any, but if you have fresh rosemary and/or basil then that would also be a great addition to the potatoes… oh, and maybe some fresh parmesan?  The best part of last night’s dinner was the zucchini and yellow squash.  I simply washed, sliced and steamed them on the stovetop, adding only a bit of sea salt & pepper and a bit of fresh red onion.  SO SO SO SO good.  It’s amazing how really fresh produce tastes so much better than store bought, and you know how I love to support local business.  I think that Alex and I will make Tuesday mornings at the Farmer’s Market a regular date.  Maybe someday I will be inspired to have a garden of my own, but for now I’m perfectly happy letting someone else do the dirty work. 

No comments: