"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Another Hot One

Yesterday was a scorcher and today is also feeling quite warm.  Oh, the humidity!  Alex and I are staying inside and staying cool.  Cheryl is on vacation, so there will be no pool therapy today. 

I finished my book last night and I might go as far as saying that this is one of my favorite books ever.  As soon as I finished the last page I got online and ordered my own copy.  Let me go ahead and plug www.OnceUponATimeBooks.com

They have a huge warehouse full of all sorts of books.  You can search their database and order online.  They do ship for a reasonable fee if you are not in the area, but since they are located in Tontitown (about 15 minutes from me) I am able to pick up for no fee.  Most all of the books are $1 and you might be surprised at all you can find.  I often am able to find exactly what I’m looking for and have it as my own for only $1. 

I felt like I needed my own copy of this book because I intend to reread it and then read it again.  I want a copy on my bookshelf to pick up intermittently in the future and to lend to anyone who might want to read it.  There were multiple times that I had the urge to highlight or write in the book, so obviously I need my own!  What would I have highlighted?  A LOT, but here is one thing. 

“Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what it was in nostalgia, nor forward to what it might be in dread or anticipation, but living in the present relationship and accepting it as it is now.”  This is so beautifully said that I don’t think it needs any translation.  These words could be spoken in reference to a marriage or romantic relationship, but are just as easily applicable to any relationships.  For me, reading these words makes me think of my relationship with my children. 

It is a lovely way to say what I have learned more than once in the past.  The Serenity Prayer says it this way, “… living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time…”  However you put it, the sentiment is strong. 

In the spirit of “living in the present relationship”, I must put this computer down and play Candy Land with Alex. 

No comments: