"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Countdown

Alex is so excited for football season to begin… proof that she is her father’s daughter.  For me, the countdown is not for the sporting event, but for the excitement that Drew & Alex find in the game.  When they are happy, I am happy.  Since getting her new Razorback jersey (which is currently in the wash to be worn again, while she wears a Razorback t-shirt as a substitute) she has been even more anxious.  She uses her computer to ask, “Can we watch football?” on a daily basis.  We could watch recaps or clips of past games online, but we are holding out for the live games.  In anticipation of the first game of the season on August 30th, I helped her make a countdown paper chain yesterday.  It isn’t as cute as I had envisioned, since I didn’t have red construction paper, but we made do.  Each link on the chain says “Razorbacks”, “Woo Pig Sooie”, “Go Hogs!” or “Red & White”.  I sat with her in the floor and we patiently taped each link until we had a chain of 46.  We took our first link off the chain this morning, leaving us with 45 daily links until the first Hogs game of the season. 

I would like to report that since sending out an email for Happy Like, posting on the website, sharing it here and posting it on the HLT Facebook page last Friday… we have had much interest & activity.  We have had more than 150 unique visitors to the website, more than 75 new ‘likes’ on Facebook and lots of new conversation & sharing on Facebook.  All of this is wonderful, as many people have read about and shared the mission of HLT.  If you took time to read about & say a prayer for our mission… Thank You.  I have been talking Britt, who has been a huge supporter and volunteer for HLT in the past, and we are planning a fundraiser for August.  As a teaser… if you like to shop Thirty-One or Kelly’s Kids (or if you happen to like frozen yogurt!!) then you will want to join us!  Stay tuned for more info in the coming days. 

I have recently learned that my mother-in-law (AKA Dottie or Nonnie) will be going to Oaxaca, Mexico at the end of August.  She and 12 others will be spending 8 days at a women’s shelter, making physical repairs to the property and spending time with the women & children in the area.  I would ask that you keep this mission & group in your prayers in the coming weeks and months.  If you are interested in supporting this mission in any other way, you can contact me at adh957@yahoo.com and I will point you in Dottie’s direction. 

In less important news… I got half way through Hemingway and gave up a few weeks ago.  I tried, but it just wasn’t my thing.  I told you about the Anne Morrow Lindbergh book that I loved.  I am now reading a book about Typhoid Mary.  Christin brought me a pile of books from her last graduate class and they are strangely my kind of thing... a sociological look at relevant historical events.  There is much to be learned from how we handled things in the past, if only we were willing to look.  I joked with Drew that, if I play my cards right, I could read every book that Christin does and have an imaginary graduate degree.  I mean, universities give celebrities ‘honorary’ degrees all the time.  I don’t really get that at all, but surely I could at least read the books and pretend! 

No comments: