"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday

I’m so happy to have Drew working from home today.  The yard was getting out of control, but it’s been to hot & humid for me to park Alex in a safe place outside for me to mow and Drew has worked very long hours this week.  Of course, Drew can’t mow the yard and work at the same time, so… I volunteered my labor this morning.  Alex hung out in the floor while Daddy worked and I mowed.  Oh, did I mow!  It was so high & thick (thanks to Tuesday’s bit of rain) that it really needed to be gone over twice, so that’s what I did.  Two hours later… I’m feeling quite accomplished. 

This isn’t the first time I’ve mowed, but it’s the first time in a while.  Here’s what I learned. 

  • I should have worn gloves.  The blisters on my hands from the push mower are proof. 
  • A grass hopper can hunker down, be mowed over and still hop away unscathed. 
  • A strategically hidden tennis ball (thanks to Foose) cannot survive being mowed over. 
  • Hitting a big rock will make an awful noise, stop the mower and make me yell a bad word.  Also, Drew will hear all of this from inside and come outside to check on me. 
  • A massive pile of fresh poo (thanks again to Foose) can also stop the mower and change the aroma in the air from lovely fresh cut grass to something much less enjoyable.  Sorry for that explanation, but it’s the truth. 
  • It’s hot outside… even at 8:30 in the morning.  And humid.  Insanely humid. 

So, that’s my lawn mowing experience.  FYI, according to what I could find online, push mowing a yard for two hours burns about 800 calories.  No need for the gym today! 

I was so excited to try my new okra recipe last night.  In my excitement, I forgot to dry off the okra after washing it.  That means that once it came out of the oven it was chewy instead of crispy.  Bummer.  The flavor was yummy, but the texture was not.  I am going to try it again and feel quite certain that it will be delicious.  Here’s what to do:  Rinse and thoroughly dry okra.  Cut off the tops, toss with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper.  Spread it in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 for 15-25 minutes (depending on how crispy you want it), turning the okra once during that time. 

To add insult to injury, I also screwed up the rice last night.  Note to self:  rice does not magically cook in the time specified on the bag.  It is only done when it is done, even if that takes a few extra minutes. 

So, yeah, dinner was a bust. 

Let me give you a heads up on a Happy Like This fundraiser.  On August 10th we will have the party room at Cherry Berry in Siloam Springs from 4-7.  We will have a rep from Thirty One (great bags & storage items) and from Kelly’s Kids (super cute children’s clothing) and possibly a Scentsy rep.  These awesome ladies will be donating their commission from all sales to HLT.  HLT should also receive a portion of the night’s yogurt sales.  Mark your calendar and stayed tuned for more details and a flyer you can share with friends.  If you or someone you know sells something awesome and would like to join the fundraising effort then please contact me at HappyLikeThis@yahoo.com

I will will have a flyer for this event soon so that you all can share them and post them at work, church, etc. 

The email that I sent out last Friday, posted on www.HappyLikeThis.com and shared on our facebook page reached many new people.  Lots of people shared this information with their friends and we gained more than 70 new facebook fans and had more than 150 new visitors to the website.  We also received a few donations by honestly sharing about the need for support.  We are still waiting on word from the IRS concerning our 501c3 and I have not been able to get another update in the last few weeks.  Thank you to those of you that have suggested I contact the Arkansas state reps concerning our tax exempt status.  For the moment I am putting my faith in our accountant to handle things, but will contact our state reps soon if we continue to hear nothing. 

No comments: