"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

INFJ

I have some photos on my camera from our weekend with JR, but I have yet to put them on the computer to share here.  I will save them for later.

Sunday night Drew & I took Alex to an Arkansas Naturals baseball game.  We haven’t been in several years, but Alex is feeling well lately and the weather is so nice and cool for this time of year.  We had a good time and Alex had a blast. 

In other, more random news…

If you have never taken the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator (MGTI), then you might be interested in doing so.  It is an inventory in which you answer questions about yourself and come up with one of 16 different personality types.  I believe that I first took the inventory in college and then again when I was working as a Connected In Christ coach a few years ago.  I am most definitely an INFJ.  I even made Drew sit still and answer the questions.  It was almost funny because we answered so many of the questions differently.  He is an ESTJ. 

If you want the certified test then you need to find a certified test administrator, most of whom are psychologists or counselors.  The official website is www.myersbriggs.org and I have taken most of my information from there, though some of what follows came from other (less official) websites about personality. 

If you aren’t going to do the official MGTI, then you can take an unofficial inventory HERE and get immediate results.  It is the one I made Drew take and it’s quite revealing and strikingly accurate for most people. 

So, what does this have to do with anything?  Drew & I have times when we really butt heads.  That’s no secret and you will never hear me deny this.  Here’s the thing… we usually aren’t disagreeing, just seeing things from different perspectives.  Just for fun, I’m going to give you an entertaining run down of Mandy (INFJ) versus Drew (ESTJ).

Mandy- The ‘I’ is for Introvert… I prefer to live in my inner world of ideas and images.  ‘N’ is Intuition… so I pay more attention to the meanings and possibilities of the information my senses give me.  ‘F’ is Feeling… I put more weight on personal feelings and the people involved.  In general, I am idealistic, sensitive to the needs of others, creative & artistic, focused on the future, private, value close & deep relationships and enjoy thinking about the meaning of life. 

Drew- Drew’s ‘E’ is for Extrovert… he leans slightly toward spending his time in the outside world of people and things.  ‘S’ is for Sensing… he uses his 5 senses to take things in in a very literal & concrete fashion.  ‘T’ is Thinking… so he puts emphasis on objective principles and impersonal facts.  In general, Drew is practical & realistic, dependable, self-confident, traditional, structured & organized.

It’s really all quite interesting to me.  How different can two people be?  Well, about that different.  The one thing we do share is ‘J’.  That stands for Judging.  That doesn’t mean judging others, it simply refers to how we live our outer life.  Judging types prefer a more structured and decided lifestyle.  The alternative is ‘P’ or Perception, a person that prefers a more flexible and adaptable lifestyle with the outer world.  My score on this (Judging) is much higher than Drew’s (scientifically proving my remarkable inflexibility), but we do both prefer knowing how things are going and some predictability when it comes to life outside of our bubble. 

Other than being interesting, what good is all this information?  Many companies use this type indicator for employment purposes.  I took it before working with Connected In Christ because understanding your type can help you focus on your most effective and efficient approaches to work & life.  In addition to the workplace, it can be very useful in relationships, learning (including but not limited to the classroom) and personal growth. 

At this point you are either really bored or completely intrigued.  If you are intrigued then you are in luck, because I’m going to talk about this a bit more.  If you are bored then you are welcome to check out now. 

Many INFJ (Mandy) personalities excel in careers like: clergy, teachers, counselors, psychologists and musicians.  Many ESTJ (Drew) are military leaders, sales reps, financial officers, police/detectives and business managers.  Dude, could that be any more accurate?  I have a degree in Sociology and have chosen to be a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom who loves music.  Drew has a degree in Business Management, was in the military for 12 years and has a career were he spends his work day in sales and analyzing numbers. 

I would be really interested to hear what your Myers Briggs Type Indicator is.  To my sisters-in-law, after you take the inventory… you should really make your husbands take the inventory.  I’d love to know everyone’s results! 

No comments: