"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, July 15, 2013

Minimal?

Alex was really stiff and jerky this morning.  My first response is to tell her to relax, which is absurd since she would if she could.  I can only assume that she is worn out from a busy Sunday and just needs to take it easy at home today.  During the week that Drew was home on vacation we were worried that we may be approaching another decline in Alex’s health.  She has been riding this plateau for 3 or 4 months and there is no timeline to tell us when the next decline will be.  Thank God, a week of quiet routine and taking things at her pace quieted things down.  Yesterday wasn’t terribly busy, just church and then a little while with family for lunch, but I can definitely tell it in her body today. 

I’ve been reading and thinking on the principle of minimalism lately.  In fact, I’ve been intrigued by the idea for a while and then the book I read last week touched on the idea of a more simplistic lifestyle.  In short, minimalism is intentionally trying to live with only the things that you really need.  The reason this appeals to me is the lack of distraction.  How many distractions would be removed from my life if I lived more minimally?  A lot.  One doesn’t have to give away all their excess belongings, pack up the necessities in the wagon and move to the little house on the prairie to be minimalist (though I’ve joked about that for years).  Okay, fine, sometimes that sounds down right appealing, but let’s be clear that electricity and indoor plumping ARE NECESSARY. 

In a more modern attempt to minimize… It sure feels like everyone is letting their words, attitudes and opinions fly around lately and, if I may say so, it is exhausting.  Proverbs 21:23 tells us “Watch your words and hold your tongue; you’ll save yourself a lot of grief.”  Sadly, my first instinct is often to argue back or share my own grievance (there goes that evil tongue again), and it takes a lot of awareness and control for me to step away and hold my tongue (or typing fingers).  So, I’m taking an indefinite Facebook break.  I’m hoping that Happy Like This will continue to draw positive attention and support, but as for my personal life, it needs to step away from the drama, temptation and distractions. 

On one last note, if you missed my post about Happy Like This on Friday, then please scroll down and read it now.  Then share our website with others. 

No comments: