"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, July 26, 2013

Possessions

“Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness obsesses you, and in the materialistic age a great many of us are possessed by our possessions.”  -Peace Pilgrim

I continue to be intrigued by the idea of living with less.  Less stuff, less distraction, less fuss.  Quotes like the one above make so much sense to me.  Or, we can go to be Bible and find verses like…

“For all that is in the world- the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions- is not from the Father but is from the world.”  1 John 2:16 (ESV)

or

“And he said to them, ‘Take care, and be on guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.’”  Luke 12:15 (ESV)

Whatever approach you prefer, the idea is the same.  In this spirit, I’ve been cleaning out a bit.  I have a load of things to donate.  For me, the most dangerous thing about cleaning out is letting those discarded items sit too long.  The longer they sit the more time I have to think I might want to keep them.  Know what I mean?  Am I the only one who has dropped off a box of things at the Salvation Army and picked out something that I suddenly need to keep? 

In addition to donating some items, I recently cleaned out the bathroom and threw away a good deal of stuff.  You know, the bottle of hair spray or lotion that you haven’t used in a year but can’t seem to throw out because you paid too much for it to begin with?  How dumb is that?  I mean, really.  If I haven’t used it in the last 12 months then there are really only two reasonable scenarios… 1. It’s gone bad and needs to be thrown out.  2. I’m not going to use it in the next 12 months and needs to be thrown out.  Pretty simple.  I threw stuff out. 

Now, none of these things would be obvious to a visitor in my home, but I have noticed two things.  1. The box of items that I cleared out of my office allowed me to put the things I do use/enjoy back in place.  2. When I open the bathroom cabinet, I can easily grab what I need without digging through various bottles and knocking things over. 

So that is my very limited success story, and I’m hoping to continue throughout the house. 

Yesterday I was talking to my grandpa and I bragged about how Alex was on a pretty good sleep schedule, waking up about 8:15 every morning.  I went on to tell him how that makes things easier for me, because my body sets its own schedule to match her.  This morning I had to eat my words when Alex woke up at 7:15.  How can one hour make such a difference?  It took an hour for me to feel like I was actually awake. 

In the last few days I have pulled some different games and puzzles from the toy box.  Alex and I have enjoyed these rediscovered activities.  I also put a couple of new buttons on her computer so that she can request these things specifically.  In case anyone is wondering… our countdown chain tells us that there are now only 36 days until Razorback football!  

No comments: