"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wednesday

Alex had physical therapy with Cheryl on Monday and speech with Heidi yesterday.  She was so very happy to see them both.  Aside from therapy, I’ve pretty well let her take it easy the last few days.  She didn’t even want to go to the store on Monday to pick up her medications.  I didn’t push her, knowing that she was tired and respecting her limits.  We’ve watched television, read books, played games, played my guitar and done a billion loads of laundry. 

As for myself, I’ve been battling a headache for several days.  It’s been so long since I’ve had a headache of any consequence and I’m not handling it with much grace.  After a weekend of mild headaches, I decided it was probably sinus pressure and took a Claritin D on Monday.  It didn’t help the headache at all, but it did keep me from sleeping on Monday night.  The lack of sleep didn’t help the headache situation and it surely didn’t help that Alex woke up at 5am after my largely sleepless night.  What the heck?  So, yesterday I was fairly useless around the house.  Alex did get me up way earlier than I would have liked, but she was very patient with the fact that I laid around most of the day.  I did get myself up and go to the gym while Heidi was here.  It’s been my experience that the days I don’t want to work out are the days that I most need it.  I did feel some better after 40 minutes on the treadmill.  I’ve taken ibuprofen a few times over the last few days, but I really don’t like to pop pills.  I’m really thinking that the headache is just an after effect of stress and that it will fade as I get back into my comfort zone.  It’s obviously not a debilitating headache, just hindrance. 

Heidi brought me a book yesterday and it didn’t take me very long to realize that it was just what I needed.  God works like that, y’all, He uses us in small but significant ways to help each other along the way.  The book is called Gift From The Sea and was written by Anne Morrow Lindbergh more than 50 years ago.   Yes, she was the wife of Charles Lindbergh.  I’m really not even sure how to describe the book, but I will try.  She wrote the book during a 2 week beach vacation by herself.  Using inspiration from her 2 weeks of solitude in a simple beach cottage, she reflects on the duties of women (and men) and how we struggle to balance the outside world with our inner self.  Though it was written 50+ years ago, it rings just as true today.  I might even go as far as to say that it is especially true today, given how our culture has evolved in the last few decades… full of distractions, expectations, and opportunities that are supposed to make things easier, but somehow complicate things further.  I’m telling you, it feels like a book that I wish I had written.  It’s pretty wonderful and I can already tell you that I will reread it when I am done. 

Now that our bunny sitting stint is over, we decided that the dogs needed to be inside again.  It worked out perfectly since the weather is just now heating up again (triple digits today?).  I put Alex in the stroller this morning and we went out front to get ready for the dog bathing extravaganza.  One water hose, one bottle of Dawn dish soap, two towels, one wet pair of flip flops and one giggling little girl later… we have three clean, cool and happy dogs back in the house.  Oh, how I love my dogs. 

No comments: