"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

27

There’s just something about the 27th, I guess.  Payson Ryan McCarty arrived at 5:51am this morning! 

photo (12)

I have talked to/texted Sasha every day for weeks, anticipating Payson’s arrival (her due date was the 22nd).  I plugged my nearly dead cell phone in in the kitchen and Drew & I were both asleep before 10:30pm last night.  I woke up about 7 this morning to find 9 text messages, the last of which was the above photo.  There is absolutely nothing I could have done anyway, but I still can’t believe I missed the entire process!  Once Payson decided that he was ready, he wasted no time in making his appearance.  Second babies tend to do that, I suppose.  I can’t wait to give Casey & Sasha a big hug, love on big sister Tessa and then get my hands on that baby boy. 

Honestly, I’m not quite sure when that will happen.  I’d love to buckle Alex in her car seat and drive up there right now, but I don’t think she could handle that.  That sucks, since I know she is as excited to see the baby as I am. 

Let’s use that as a transition into to how things are going around here…

I had a minor meltdown last week when I realized how very limited we are these days.  Alex can’t tolerate getting out and there are very few people who can handle caring for her anymore.  It is no longer just a matter of giving tube feedings. The physical aspect is much more difficult today than it was just one month ago, leaving many willing helpers unable to physically care for Alex.  So, I had a melt down and cried a bit, then I put on my big girl panties to deal with it.  Uncle Pat & Aunt Big Alex will be staying with our Alex for a few hours this Saturday.  Drew & I have literally not been out of our home alone together since the first week of July, so that will be a much needed little break for us.  Also, I now have the phone number of a woman who is quite qualified & able to care for Alex’s needs (and just as importantly, I trust to do so).  It is nice to have the option of hiring a sitter, should we ever need to do that. 

Elsewhere… there seems to be a good number of people dealing with viral infections right now.  Dad has been super sick (head & respiratory congestion) for a week.  The doctor diagnosed him with ‘the crud’, gave him a steroid shot, antihistamine shot and a Rx for antibiotics, but it’s 6 days later and he’s not feeling much better.  Viral?  That would make sense.  (Also, that sucks because he really can’t go visit the new baby and take the chance of sharing his sickness.)  There also seems to be a good deal of my facebook friends (and/or their kiddos) dealing with similar illness already.  It’s only August!  Isn’t this a bit early in the year for all the sickness?  I don’t guess I need to explain why any sort of sickness, especially anything respiratory, would be extremely dangerous for Alex.  Just so I’m doing my duty as the crazy germaphobic Mandy… WASH YOUR HANDS, PEOPLE!  Steer clear of our house if you even might be sick and please understand our extreme caution for the foreseeable future.  We will be getting flu shots when they become available and the germX will be used liberally. 

Since Dad is so under the weather, I took Grandpa to Wal-Mart to do his shopping this weekend.  That is always an adventure, but I’m absolutely happy to do it.  I can’t do nearly as much to help lately and I hate that.  Grandpa seems to have changed a lot in the last month, and (on a selfish note) it is emotionally much harder for me than I anticipated.  He’s growing old.  Why is that so difficult for me to process and accept?  I am so grateful that we moved him in with Dad when we did, as I can’t imagine how he could have lived alone at this point.  Given that Alex needs so much more of my time/energy in the last month, I don’t have as much to help Grandpa.  He no longer drives and Dad does 99.99% of everything that needs to be done now… his full time job and all of his own chores/tasks, as well as Grandpa’s shopping, doctor appointments, filling prescriptions, cooking & making sure he eats… and the list goes on and on.  I’m grateful that, despite so many unforeseen circumstances in the last year, Dad has been able and willing to take this on.  Many days I can only offer a prayer and a phone call to say hello, but, as a caregiver myself, I know that those two things do matter. 

How about a few cell phone pictures of Alex?

How we spend much of our time these days, snuggled up together.  (FYI, this is me with no makeup or pretty hair… so, in the spirit of praising Jennifer Aniston, feel free to gawk over how beautiful I am.  Ha ha.) 

photo (13)

This past weekend, rocking the Razorback jersey and counting down the days until college football kick off!  (Only 4 more days.) 

photo (14)

How she fell asleep in my arms last night.  Too cute and dramatic to not document. 

photo (15)

Now would be the time to be amazed that I’ve refrained from publicly expressing an opinion on the Miley Cyrus performance at the VMAs.  I’m adopting the attitude of not giving it any undue attention.  If you object to Wal-Mart, then you don’t shop there.  Right?  Well, same idea here.  I refuse to feed the fire.  (Cue the applause.) 

No comments: