"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, August 2, 2013

Finally Friday

Friday means that Drew will be home tonight!  I sure do like that guy and will be so happy to have him home. 

Alex and I have had a good couple of days.  Nonnie came to visit on Wednesday.  Yesterday I took Alex to the salon for a much needed hair cut.  I held her in my lap and she worked hard to hold on to me and stay still.  She laid her head on my chest and Kendra cut one side, then we flip flopped and cut the other side of her head.  We were both sweaty and completely covered in hair, but that’s okay.  She’s rocking her short hair do and we shouldn’t have as many problem with her hair matting up from laying on her back.  It was also hot enough yesterday for us to get back in the pool for therapy.  I had one sleepy girl last night, totally out by 7:15. 

My sister-in-law, ‘Big’ Alex, recently asked me if I read other blogs or just write my own.  It feels a little silly, but I do not read other blogs.  I did for a short while when I first started blogging 5 years ago, but it just wasn’t my thing.  Here’s my explanation… comparison is an ugly thing.  My blog started as a way to keep family and friends up to date as we prepared for Alex’s second surgery on her feet and Drew’s second deployment.  From there, it became something of a diary for our family.  Reading other mom’s blogs didn’t help me at all.  My family and my children weren’t/aren’t ‘normal’, I couldn’t relate to so much of it and felt oddly excluded because of that. 

“The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.”  -Steven Furtick

Know what I mean? It’s the same reason I have to take breaks from Facebook now and then.  Comparison can be an ugly thing.  As a disclaimer, I had a few friends & family who blogged for a while and I did read those.  I care about their families and wanted to keep up.  I would still read those, I just don’t read other mom blogs. 

No comments: