"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

No Make-up

Yesterday the net was ablaze with a photo of Jennifer Aniston wearing no make-up (pictured with her hair dresser, who appears to have no hair himself).  Granted, she’s a beautiful lady, but is this news worthy? 

1375625210_jennifer-aniston-no-makeup_1

Come on y’all!  90% of the photos of me in existence are sans make up and nobody has ever patted me on the back for it!  I’m just saying. 

I spoke with Alex’s neurologist yesterday afternoon.  We decided to slightly increased Alex’s muscle relaxer dosage in hopes of giving her a more sustained comfort throughout the day.  I gave the first increased dose yesterday afternoon and the second half of the day seemed to go a bit better.  Hopefully this will help. 

My homemade bread was such a hit that Drew has decided I should stop buying bread and just bake it!  I’m afraid we are on a slippery slope here… massive amount of homemade baked goods and a very plump Mandy and Drew.  The scary thing is that I feel like it might be worth it! 

Am I the only one who thinks that this summer weather has been strange?  I can’t recall a summer when we had so many days where it was actually too chilly to go swimming.  One day will bring dangerously high heat indexes and then the next day it’s raining and the pool is nearly overflowing with cold rain water.  Of course, our pool is relatively small so it heats up and cools off very quickly, but still. 

I’m not sure if I’m supposed to talk about this or not, but I’m going to.  Last week we found out that a very good friend is being deployed to Afghanistan.  I pretty much hate this.  I only bring this up as a reminder… this is not over.  Drew spent a year in Iraq in 2003-2004 (as well as his 2 years at Ft. Sill supporting others headed over seas).  Drew’s brother, Pat, has served in the Middle East twice.  Drew completed his term of service (12 years) in 2011 and Pat will soon complete his, but there are still many serving.  We don’t hear much about it on the news these days, but we still have men & women in very dangerous places.  I just don’t want anyone to forget that while our first world lives are being consumed with school supplies, new clothes and the approaching football season… there are families making some serious sacrifices. 

Yesterday I mailed a special package to a super hero of a little boy and his sister.  This precious toddler was recently diagnosed with Type I diabetes and spent several days in the hospital getting things under control.  His entire family is now adjusting to a life of blood sugar checks and insulin injections.  HLT decided that he and his sister needed a special treat for being so brave.  Here’s hoping that this special package puts a smile on their faces!  For the record, I hope that this makes you smile, too.  Without your support we couldn’t do things like this. 

Speaking of HLT…

Only 4 days until the Happy Like This fundraiser at Cherry Berry frozen yogurt in Siloam Springs.  I will be there on Saturday from 4 to 7, along with the awesome ladies selling Kelly’s Kids, Origami Owl and Thirty-One, so PLEASE drop by and see us!  A portion of all sales (including 10% of Cherry Berry sales) will be donated to HLT.  Just in case you need more coaxing… Alex will be there as long as she can tolerate and will surely be thrilled to see each and every person! 

No comments: