"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Plan

Cheryl came early for therapy with Alex today.  Like I’ve said, Alex is always ready for Cheryl or Heidi and since our schedule pretty well revolves around therapy these days, it makes me no particular difference what time they come.  I was dressed for the gym, but at the last minute I decided that it was more important to run a few HLT errands.  So, I left the house in gym clothes and sparkly flip flops.  To the post office… a few thank you cards in the mail and sorting of junk mail from the PO Box.  From there I headed to the dollar store to pick up some more thank you cards from HLT, but when I pulled out my debit card to go inside I realized that it is expired and the new one was laying on the kitchen counter.  No big deal.  I changed my 45 minute errand running plans and headed to the library.  I’ve been wanting to read Phil Robertson’s book Happy Happy Happy, but the last time I was at the library it was checked out.  I got to our cute (and very tiny) little library to find that absolutely every parking spot was full.  Instead of parking blocks away and walking through the park (just to fight the obvious crowd in the tiny library), I scrapped that from the amended plan and moved on.  I couldn’t hit the gym for a quick run because I was wearing flip flops.  Hmm… That’s when I remembered seeing that one of the consignment stores in town was having a major sale.  Score!  I got 4 great tops and a pair of jeans for $15.  I can’t tell you how much fun that was.  It was an unexpected stop and I really didn’t anticipate finding anything in the summer sale items.  Plus, I don’t think I’ve bought myself any clothing since before our Florida trip in April.  Who needs a plan, anyway?  Sometimes the unexpected is way more fun. 

I enjoyed getting out and about earlier than expected today, but now the second half of the day seems to be dragging.  Drew won’t be home for at least 3 hours, so I’ve got to think of something fun to do with Alex.  We’ve read about a million books (okay, not literally) in the last two days, so she’s definitely wanting to do something else.  Wait… speaking of reading books with Alex… I have to share my favorite right now.  Julie Andrews (yes, that Julie Andrews) & Emma Walton Hamilton wrote a children’s book called The Very Fairy Princess.  We’ve had it for a while, but I still love it.  Alex likes the illustrations and we both love the story.  It is written from the perspective of a little girl named Geraldine who just knows that she’s a fairy princess.  Allow me to quote a few of my favorite lines…

“I know that I’m a fairy princess because I FEEL it inside—a sparkly feeling of just KNOWING in my heart.” 

“You just have to let your SPARKLE out!” 

“I say even a fairy princess needs a break, to keep her sparkle from sagging!” 

It’s just a super cute and fun story.  Replace ‘fairy princess’ with whatever role you prefer, and I’m sure that every girl (or woman) has felt those things (or needed to hear them) at some point. 

No comments: