"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving Week

I’m aware of the dates on the calendar, but somehow Thanksgiving has still snuck up on me.  Only a few days to get ready.  Since Alex can’t travel, our families are coming here.  I am so appreciative that they are willing to alter plans so that we can be included.  It will be a busy few days, but that’s a blessing. 

Drew was off on Friday (using vacation days before the end of the year), so I got to spend an hour at the gym that morning.  When I got home (after a great run), I was informed that I was being kicked out of the house in a few hours and taking myself on a date.  I’ve been to the movies alone before, and if you haven’t ever done that then you should.  It’s lovely.  I saw the matinee of the new Hunger Games movie and loved it.  I don’t look forward to many movies, but I was really looking forward to that one and it was such a treat to have a few hours to myself.  On Saturday I left the house alone… again.  I went to the church to pick up smoked pork butts (an annual tradition of the United Methodist Men) and got to hug the necks of a few friends.  Our family has been going to ESUMC for more than 10 years and I consider so many people there as family.  We haven’t been able to go on any sort of regular basis in a couple of years, but they are still family and seeing them is always wonderful.  I took one of the pork butts by my Dad’s house and then braved Wal-Mart on the Saturday before  Thanksgiving.  Let me tell you this… if you are friendly and smiling, things go much better.  I’m definitely guilty of getting in a hurry and becoming frustrated sometimes, but it goes so much better if you just smile.  The aisles were crowded and the lines were long, but people will treat you differently if you just chill.  Case in point… I was standing in line when a manager said, “Follow me” and opened a new register.  That probably would have happened anyway, considering the massive crowd, but I was grateful that I got to be the first one in the new line.  Hint: If you are stressed about the crowds, chances are that the workers are, too.  Be nice.  At the very least, you will leave the store feeling accomplished instead of frazzled. 

Anyway, I think I got everything I will need for cooking this week.  Let’s hope so.  I did some house work yesterday and will try to finish up a few things today and tomorrow.  I will start cooking Wednesday, Drew’s family will be here Wednesday evening and then I will be up super early on Thursday to get everything put together and ready for my family to come for lunch. 

While I’m thinking about it… Casey & Sasha will be here for Thanksgiving.  They were planning to go to her family’s for the holiday, but Casey can’t tolerate an 8 hour drive since his surgery.  He is at home and doing okay, but from what I hear he is quite sore and can’t tolerate much food.  I joked with Sasha that this may be quite the diet plan for him.  When you can’t seem to eat more than 3 ounces of food at a time, that’s a quick way to drop a few pounds.  All joking aside, he is healing slowly and trying to be patient (which, for Casey, is no small feat).  

Drew and Robert went deer hunting again yesterday, but we still don’t have a deer in the freezer.  Bummer.  Next weekend will close out the season, so maybe Drew will get something then.  Also, I think it opens again for a few days during the Christmas holiday. 

It’s been super cold here the last few days.  It’s been in the teens when we wake up each morning.  To the west there was a decent amount of winter weather and it moved just south of us last night.  We didn’t get anything here in Siloam, just cold temperatures.  All the same, I am quite grateful for a warm house, snuggly quilts and hot coffee.  The extended forecast says we could have some snow/sleet early next week.  While I would vote for 80 degrees and sunshine any day of the week, Alex would be thrilled to see some white stuff outside, so I’ll root for her in this case. 

I’m still not completely itching to put up Christmas decorations, but Alex is anxious for the tree.  We plan to wait until our Thanksgiving guests have gone home and pull everything out on Thursday night or Friday.  Alex will be so very happy about that, so I can be happy about it, too.  In the interest of full disclosure, we watched Elf yesterday and it did motivate me a bit.  That’s just a fun movie.  To paraphrase Buddy the Elf, “I just like to smile.  Smiling is my favorite.” 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.

Watch out, the yellow ones don't stop!

Robert