"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving

It’s 7:30 on Thanksgiving morning and I’m up by myself.  It’s lovely.  The house is quiet, the turkey is roasting and I’m very much enjoying my morning coffee.  The only thing that could make it better is flipping through the paper to look at all the sale papers.  No, I don’t even remember the last time I shopped the after Thanksgiving sales, but I sure do enjoy looking at the sale papers.  I could take my pretty little self to the gas station down the street and get a paper, but it sure is cold outside! 

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but my heart is playing tricks on me this morning.  My head knows that Alex is asleep by herself in her room, but my heart keeps feeling like Emma is there, too.  It really seems like any minute they will come walking down the hall together, with sleepy smiles on their faces and wide eyes of wonder over the holiday.  I can picture Emma’s crazy bed head and big blue eyes.  I am having flash backs of holding that sassy little girl on my hip while I check on whatever is cooking at the moment, and then laying on our tummies in the floor while we pour over the sale papers and pick out what we like best.  These memories are definitely something to be grateful for.  I can only imagine that I will be an old lady, making my share of the dishes for our Thanksgiving meal, and still reliving those precious moments. 

Alex stayed up late last night, so I can only assume that she will sleep late this morning.  Drew is still in bed, too, so I’m soaking up the silence and counting my blessings, of which there are so very many. 

Last night we had Drew’s mom and siblings over.  I made bread, but everyone else brought dinner.  It was delicious and we all had a nice time visiting.  I am so grateful that they catered to our abilities and brought Thanksgiving to us this year. 

thanksgiving2013 003

JR dumping out the toy box and picking out the boy toys, of which there are few. 

thanksgiving2013 002

Alex playing Sponge Bob Memory Game with Jessica

thanksgiving2013 001

And then Drew started taking photos…

A close up of my bright shiny face.  Um, maybe today I will put on a little make up and try again! 

thanksgiving2013 008

Jessica

thanksgiving2013 010

Nonnie, Alex & JR, with a photo bomb by Pat 

thanksgiving2013 012

Is Pat putting a hot wheels car in his mouth?  No telling. 

thanksgiving2013 013

My family is coming for lunch today, so there will be more photos to share later.  Don’t be surprised if there are photos of our Christmas tree very soon, too! 

No comments: