"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Again, but better

I’ve already posted once today, but here I am again.  The first few hours of the day were difficult with Alex, but we are doing better right now. 

How do I turn my day around when it starts off a bit tense and stressed?  Well, let me tell you. 

In an effort to purge the bad, I walked through the house with a garbage bag.  I’m only a bit disturbed by how much I was able to find to fill that puppy up.  I hope that I’m not the only one who can walk through every room of the house and come out with a full garbage bag of junk to be thrown out.  Junk mail, receipts, bathroom trash, office trash bins and just general junk that needs to go.  Magazines, etc went to the recycle bin.  I highly recommend it. 

I started a new load of laundry.  I am, as usual, no where near caught up, but I have a plan.  First, I’m going to put away everything that is already folded and covering the dining table.  Then, I’m going to start a new load and put all the remaining dirty laundry in the laundry closet.  I may not be able to do it all, but I certainly don’t need it spread out in front of the washer and taunting me all day.  Out of sight, out of mind?  Maybe.  I’m willing to try. 

I sat down with two bills that needed to be paid, wrote the checks and then slipped into my heavy coat and flip flops to walk them to the mail box.  Yeah, that’s right.  Flip flops.  I followed the cleared trail down the drive way and then the clearest path on the street to put the envelopes in the mail box and put up the flag.  The weather system can do what it wants, but it can’t make me abandon my flip flops. 

During my rebellious trek to the mail box, a car stopped to talk to me.  It was a lovely couple looking for their lost dog.  I have to say that they were quite prepared, as they handed me a post it note with their phone number on it.  I assured them that I am home all day and if I see the dog that I will call them.  I’ve also left my own dogs outside, since I know they will let me know if there is a stray running around.  I’m actually praying for that dog to show up, since I can only imagine how distressed I would be if it were one of my dogs that was missing. 

I’m giving serious consideration to making a batch of sugar cookies.  It just feels like the right thing to do.  In fact, I think I’ll go set the butter out to soften so that I actually get it done.  FYI, using real butter in your baking recipes is not the healthy thing to do, but it sure does taste the best.  If I get that done then I will likely take a plate to my neighbors.  Who doesn’t like a fresh baked sugar cookie?! 

Okay, so that’s how I’ve pepped up my day.  Alex is watching “Olivia” on Nick Junior, so it feels only appropriate to leave you with a few more Rules of Life. 

Rule of Life #543

If you put moisturizer on Alex’s chapped face and then leave the room, you will likely return to find Foose licking it all off.  (Yes, I’m crazy uptight about some things, but I’ve found that a good dog lick on the face doesn’t hurt a thing.  If you count the giggles that it triggers, then it actually can help some things.) 

Rule of Life #728

When Cheryl calls and says she can be at your house in 5 minutes to have physical therapy with Alex, you say “Yes!”  It’s amazing how quickly I can get myself dressed and presentable when there’s an opportunity to get out of the house for an hour. 

Rule of Life #921

Quilts are meant for snuggling and snuggling is done best with somebody special… a spouse or a child is prime.  Adding a dog or two (or three) to the mix is also sort of nice. 

No comments: