"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Almost!

I’m not going to dare complain about the 60 degree weather in December.  I know it won’t last long, but I’m enjoying it while it’s here.  Yesterday I wore running shorts and short sleeves to the gym and it was lovely. 

Speaking of the gym… Are you ready for a mileage total?  I’m officially at 196.31 miles!!  SO CLOSE!  I will get in a few miles today, but I’m not sure I can hit 200 in just 45 minutes.  I know I can get 2.5 or 3 miles, which means that a short time on the elliptical tomorrow and I can officially hit my goal.  What about you?  Have you thought about setting some sort of goal for yourself in 2014?  I highly recommend it, as it has really kept me motivated to keep going when I didn’t always feel like it.  Let’s say you set a goal for yourself and then fall weeks or months behind.  You can always pick back up and see how close you can get.  If you recall, my original goal for 2013 was 365 miles.  Earlier in the summer I had to reevaluate my goal and come up with a number that would still challenge me but might be attainable and that’s where I came up with 200.  I can guarantee that I wouldn’t have come this far and stayed this active if I hadn’t had something tangible to aim for.  My 2014 goal will be to accumulate 150 hours of active and intentional exercise.  Walking, jogging, lifting weights, doing yoga, working the elliptical, riding a bike… heck, even things like hiking or playing basketball if I have the opportunity.  That works out to just less than 3 hours a week and that will be a challenge for me.  The mileage goal for 2013 and the time goal for 2014 are just measurable things to shoot for, all the while knowing that my greatest benefit from exercise is my health, specifically my mental health.  I challenge you to consider setting some sort of goal… something that isn’t completely unrealistic, but that will push you beyond your comfort zone. 

Nonnie came over yesterday afternoon and played with Alex for an hour while I went to the gym.  When Drew got home we had dinner, visited and watched NCIS.  It was a nice evening.  I might also mention that I had been hankering for a cherry pie, so I stopped at the grocery store long enough to get the fixings.  It was quite yummy, if I do say so, and I’m not at all sad that it is in the fridge and waiting to be eaten.  Hey, I’m a grown up and I can eat cherry pie for breakfast if I want to! 

Alex’s Christmas countdown chain has grown shorter each day and now we are only one week from Christmas.  She is quick to remind me, “My birthday is almost here!”  My sweet girl is almost 11!  What a gift that is.  Honestly, it is a such a gift to celebrate each year with her. 

Health wise, Alex seems to be adjusting well to her increased medications.  Mornings are still harder than afternoons & evenings, but not nearly as awful as one week ago.  Everything is manageable and Drew & I are so grateful that she is tolerating the high doses of medication.  She does get a little sleepy and mellow in the afternoons/evenings, but she is breathing normally and not falling asleep.  If you care to pray for something specific, let me give you a little bit too much information.  She hasn’t had a bowel movement in days, despite the doses of Miralax that I’ve given to help her.  It doesn’t seem to be a problem yet, but we certainly don’t want it to become one. 

Haha.  Is that a first for you?  Praying that someone will poop?  Well, there’s a first time for everything! 

No comments: