"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Eve Eve

Hmm, how did this happen?  Tomorrow is Christmas Eve.  That means that I will have 15 people in my house tomorrow night as my family celebrates Christmas together.  Santa will come once Alex is fast asleep, of course.  Then… we will have Christmas morning with just the three of us (6 if you count the dogs).  Christmas afternoon we will have Drew’s family here. 

That’s all in the next couple of days.  Today I have a short list of chores to do and then tonight Drew and I are going on a dinner date!  Alex is crazy excited for Cheryl, Elise & Brooke to come party with her for a while and I’m crazy excited to have a couple of hours with my hubby. 

Latest update on Alex… One of her new medications is a Parkinson’s medication and we began it a few days ago.  On Saturday afternoon she fell asleep in my arms and took a one hour nap.  VERY unusual.  Drew and I watched her like hawks and continually reassured ourselves that she was breathing normally.  On Sunday afternoon she fell asleep in the floor and slept for 3 hours!  VERY VERY unusual.  Again, we kept a close watch on her and she was breathing normally.  I emailed Dr. LePichon with a run down (I wasn’t so worried to call him, especially on a Sunday).  He’s out on vacation until after the 1st, but he wrote me back within hours.  I honestly can’t express how much I appreciate him being so available to us.  His advice was pretty much what I expected… to do what I think we need to.  The new medication does have common side effects of making people drowsy and sleepy.  If that becomes a worrisome concern then I have his permission to stop the medication.  If I become concerned or confused over what to do then I can call him.  For now, I am going to continue the medication.  After two days of afternoon naps, I am currently feeling like Alex’s breathing is not hindered and I actually appreciate the opportunity for her body to really relax and rest for a while during the day.  To be clear, this is just the new path that her disease is taking.  I explained this last week… We are standing on the line between enough and too much medication.  Our number one concern is Alex’s comfort and, while the medications can make her sleepy and groggy, they are absolutely necessary to provide any comfort.  Continued prayers are appreciated as we journey down this new path. 

Other stuff…

We watch a lot of television.  We are home almost all the time and consequently we spend a lot of time with the TV.  Most all of the shows that we enjoy watching are on break until January or February, so Drew & I have been spending our evenings with Netflix.  We never watched Breaking Bad when it was on television, but we were interested and decided that we would try it.  We are six episodes in and loving it!  The best part is that, since the series has now ended, we can keep watching at our leisure until we have finished it off.  The worst part is that my dreams last night were laced with story lines from the show.  Strange and stressful dreams!

Drew has been working a lot on Alex’s birthday video and we are only a few days away from the big reveal!  I know she is going to love it and I can’t wait to share it with you all.  Because the video is so large, the only way I will have to share it with you is through You Tube.  Once it is online I will post the link here and on Facebook for you all to view and share.  Get ready, it’s going to be great!   

No comments: