"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Here It Comes

All the local schools have been cancelled for today and the winter weather is nearly here.  I know it must be a difficult call, to cancel classes when the weather has yet to arrive, but I’m thankful that they made that decision so that all those kiddos aren’t out on the roads once it hits.  Drew has been in sales team meetings all week in Bentonville, but they made the decision to work later last night so that they could have the option of cancelling today.  They did make that call and Drew is working from home today. 

What did I do yesterday to prepare for the storms?  Bake bread, of course.  I couldn’t think of anything else that absolutely needed to be done, so it seemed like the best course of action.  I did go to Wal-mart while Alex was having speech, but it wasn’t for storm supplies.  There were tons of people there doing just that, though.  I bought cute socks and crossword puzzles for a teenage girl’s Christmas list.  Once I got out of there, I went to Stage to finish off her list… perfume and earrings.  It felt really great to purchase nice things for someone who doesn’t have the normal things that we take for granted… a solid place to call home.  Let me take this opportunity to say something… I have been guilty of this in the past, so that is why I’m bringing it up now.  I’ve bought for the Angel Tree or other similar organizations before, and I think that I’ve always shorted the process a bit.  I mean that I have been guilty of not purchasing the same things for others that I would for my own children.  Perhaps I buy clothes for them at Wal-mart, but buy my children’s clothing at the mall.  Maybe I buy them a $5 baby doll and then spend $20 on one for my own girls.  Don’t get me wrong, any effort and any gift is surely appreciated, but this year I wanted to... 

Luke 6:28

“Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap.  For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.” 

I promise you, you cannot out give God.  I’ve tried.  It doesn’t happen.  He will not let you give without providing for your own needs.  That doesn’t mean that if you give a dollar that you will randomly find a dollar in your mail box tomorrow.  You might, I don’t know, but that’s not the point.  My point is that God’s riches are bigger than you or I could ever imagine and you will never go without because you chose to help another in need. 

I bought nice things that I thought a teenage girl would love and spent roughly the same amount of money on this girl that I intend to spend on Alex.  Perhaps we could all take a little lesson in giving generously instead of giving what is left over.  I’m not just talking about buying gifts for a child in need, I’m talking about every way that we give.  Paying it forward is a big idea right now and I hope that it continues to hold popularity.  Leave a big tip for a server, pay for someone else’s meal (or coffee), go pay off a stranger’s Christmas lay-a-way… there are lots of things that you can do with money and a kind heart.  No money?  That’s okay.  Offer to sit with someone’s kiddos so they can have a date or do some shopping of their own.  Baking?  Make a double batch and share with your neighbors.  Have a spare moment with nothing to do?  Call a friend or loved one just to say hello.  Or send a text message or e mail.  Need something even easier than that?  Hold open the door for the person or people behind you.  Let a mom with little ones go ahead of you in the check out line.  Help an elderly person load their groceries or return their cart for them. 

Okay, that’s my sermon for today.  Really though, do something nice for someone.  I can almost promise you that it will do as much to feed your spirit as it will theirs. 

No comments: