"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, January 23, 2014

COLD

It’s cold, y’all.  I know it’s even colder in other parts of the country, but the 14 degrees that greeted me when I left for Bible study this morning was plenty cold enough for me.  A week in West Palm Beach is looking better and better by the day.  Come on, April! 

Yesterday I felt sort of awful.  The headache and fatigue was ugly, so I spent most of my day doing absolutely nothing.  I slept off and on through the day and then slept 10 hours last night.  I had to go ahead and take a decongestant this morning and my day has been much better since.  I know that the 40 degree swings in temperature are messing with a lot of people right now, so I won’t complain.  I’ll just say how grateful I am to feel better today. 

In place of some serious reflection today, I’ll be a little silly.  Here are a few things that I’ve noticed in these first few weeks of this new chapter of life. 

  • I do know how to wear make up and fix my hair.  In fact, most days I sort of enjoy it. 
  • I owe my Aunt Lajuanna a debt of gratitude for teaching me how to apply my make up and groom my eye brows all those years ago.  To my own surprise, I had not lost those skills or knowledge, I’ve simply been a bit busy for the last few years. 
  • Getting dressed and wearing ‘real’ clothes isn’t such a chore when there isn’t such a long list of other (and more important) things to be done. 
  • We have an astonishingly small amount of dirty laundry to keep up with and much less trash to take out each week now. 
  • I’m not nearly as messy as I thought I was.  Like I said, I’ve just been really busy for the last 11 years.  That’s why housework felt like such a chore, because I had many more pressing responsibilities and two beautiful girls to tend to.  Have you ever heard someone say that the dirty dishes will still be there when you get to them?  That you should enjoy your children (or family, or whatever) while you can?  They aren’t lying.  The dirty dishes (and whatever else it is that you struggle to keep under control) will be there when you have time and you really will be grateful that you spent so much time with your children and let the dirty dishes sit a while longer.  For those of my friends in the depths of parenthood… buy some paper plates, save yourself the dirty dish guilt and enjoy your family. 
  • I have been semi-sleeping for 11 years.  Many of my fellow momma’s will relate to how God adjusts your awareness the instant you become a mother.  All of a sudden you have the ability to simultaneously sleep and be aware of each little noise your child makes.  Just as astonishingly, that survival tactic has left me.  When I go to sleep now, I just sleep.  I don’t hear every little noise and whisper in the night, I just sleep.  It’s weird and also quite refreshing. 
  • I have abandoned quick showers in favor of long hot baths. 

Of course, Mac is the focus of my babying now.  It’s only fitting, since Drew bought him for me 6 years ago when I thought I wanted another baby.  Thank goodness for this little dog and how he loves to be loved on… and that he is a dog and can be put outside when necessary.  I already confessed that I bought him a little fleece doggy jacket a couple of weeks ago.  It turns out that he likes it.  Seriously.  When I take it off and lay it down, he noses it around and then sits still while I put it back on.  Just the other day, as Mac was prancing around in this little fleece jacket…

Drew: (with great hesitancy) He actually likes it, doesn’t he? 

Me: Yes, yes I think he does. 

Drew: (rolling his eyes) You are going to buy more, aren’t you? 

Me: Yes, yes I probably will. 

Drew: I figured. 

As much as it hurts Drew to be the man with a sissy little dog wearing clothing, he is absolutely willing to let me do it.  Our deal?  Mac can wear clothing, but I promise to never put him in a backpack carrier or doggy stroller.  Sounds like a fair deal to me.  I mean, really people, I love my sissy little dog, but he IS a dog.  I’m a little kooky, but I’m not insane enough to actually think my dog is a child or should be treated like one. 

No comments: