"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Saturday Evening

I figured that I probably needed to post at least something.  Many of you are probably wanting to ask how we are doing, but are hesitant to do so.  So, let me throw you a bone. 

Drew and I really are doing quite well.  Thursday and Friday were spent mostly out and about, running errands, taking care of funeral home stuff and visiting a few family members.  Today we have been at home, doing a lot of cleaning and picking up. 

A dear friend asked how my anxiety was doing, since I have quite the history of issues with that.  Complete truth?  It’s doing really good, as in I am having no anxiety.  Praise God. 

What a blessing Drew & I have in each other.  God knew what he was doing when he brought us together 17 years ago and with every moment of our lives He has laid a foundation for us to stand on today. 

Toto is doing much much better and the physical symptoms that I told you all about are gone.  After my last post, telling about Toto, I had several people reach out to share their own pet grieving stories.  It appears that Toto’s initial grief over Alex was so strong that he physically couldn’t function.  I literally prayed out loud over him, “God, please don’t let Toto die.”  Of course, I know that God has all of this under control, but when he was having such awful trouble, it really felt like losing my dog could just be too much.  So, for all of you with fur babies who reached out to me and maybe even lifted up a prayer, thank you.  All three of the dogs seem to have calmed a lot and I am so grateful. 

As for Alex’s arrangements, everything has been taken care of.  I already shared the service information with you, but I don’t think I included the link to the web page. 

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Alex-Harris&lc=1877&pid=168868954&mid=5799632&locale=en_US

As for the timing of the service, I know it isn’t ideal.  Waiting almost a week for the service wasn’t what Drew and I had hoped for, but these things take time.  The proper things have to be ordered and that takes days.  (I tried ordering the casket on Tuesday, but it was already New Year’s Eve afternoon and nothing would have shipped before Thursday anyway.)  We had really hoped to have the services on Sunday so that more of our friends and family could attend, but that just wasn’t possible.  We completely understand that the middle of the week and the middle of the day will make it impossible for some to attend.  That’s okay.  Really, it’s okay.  To add to that, we are expecting some winter weather tonight and tomorrow and then temperatures around here are going to drop terribly low.  I know that other parts of the country are experiencing even more severe weather, so I want to make sure and say that we want everyone to be careful. 

We are continually blessed by all of your kind words and continued prayers.  There is no doubt that God has covered us in a blanket of peace with a heart of gratefulness that our girls are together in heaven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The people who can't be with you physically will be with you in their thoughts and prayers. I'm glad Toto is better, weenie dogs are very sensitive.
God Bless You Both!

Sallie Plass said...

Thank you for sharing. Yes, I've been wondering about you and Drew and how you are doing. It's hard being out of town and not being a part of your everyday lives. I will miss Alex's beautiful smile. We had a great time when I got to be with Alex and Emma at the hospital. I love you all.