"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, January 6, 2014

Still Cold

It’s absurdly cold in Northwest Arkansas and across much of the country.  We are having to leave the cabinet doors under the faucets open to keep warm air circulating, in addition to leaving water running constantly.  Last night we only left the cold water running in the kitchen and this morning the hot water was frozen.  We learned that lesson and are grateful that we didn’t have any bursting/flooding issues.  We went through that a few years ago when the outside faucet busted and flooded our entire house.  It was awful awful awful and I don’t care for an encore. 

A temporarily frozen faucet can be dealt with, as I know many are not so fortunate.  Casey & Sasha’s awesome old farm house has frozen completely and they have no running water.  They even had to melt snow on the stove so that they could water the dogs. 

So, like I said, it’s cold.  I’m talking zero degrees Fahrenheit, with wind chills well below zero.  Drew and I went out to the front patio with a bottle of Alex’s purple tinted bubbles a little while ago.  The experiment that we had heard about was true, as the bubbles froze and stayed bubbled for minutes after landing on the ground.  Pretty cool and I think Alex would have liked it. 

jan62014 005

jan62014 003

We had to go to Pet Smart today to buy a replacement flap for the dog door.  While we were there, Drew kept his mouth closed and just smiled as I picked out clothing for Mac.  Yes, I’m that person.  I bought a fleece jacket (with a hood) for my dog.  Ha ha, it’s a doggy hoodie.  Drew wouldn’t be caught, under any circumstance, with a sissy little dog in a fleece jacket, but he’s sweet enough to humor me.  Mac is tolerating it, but went to Drew for sympathy as soon as I put it on him.  Poor dog. 

jan62014 006

jan62014 008

Okay, that’s all the fluff I can come up with for now.  Tomorrow will be a long and emotionally exhausting day, so I best try to wind down enough to sleep. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came accross your blog via Kelly Stamps. I've never met you and probably never will, but I have to tell you that your story really touched me. I have an 8 month old daughter and I will hug her a little longer tonight and every night because of your story. It's so easy to forget that we are not promised years, or months, or even days. I get so caught up in being busy...and work...and the holidays...and I forget to take the time to just enjoy her. Thank you for sharing. - DJ, Mckinney, TX