"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What I Do

One of the most interesting questions I get lately is, “What are you doing all day?”  It’s a reasonable question, considering.  Here’s the answer…

I get up at 4:30 or 5am with Drew each morning.  Last week we were getting up to exercise before Drew left for work, but this week we have rearranged.  This week we are just enjoying our mornings together with hot coffee and the news.  Last night we went to the gym together when he got home and then came home to watch the Hogs basketball game.  Tonight we will do our T25 workout when he gets home.  I much prefer the evening workouts over the morning workouts. 

What about all day when Drew is at work?  What do I do all day?  Well, on Tuesdays I go to church to quilt with the ladies.  Yesterday I went to quilting and dropped off some food in the fellowship hall for a funeral that afternoon.  I only quilted for a while and then decided to head home because my back was bothering me and leaning over the quilt was making it worse.  Last week, after quilting all morning, I stopped and visited with my Grandpa for a little while.  On Thursdays I go to church for Bible study.  We are doing a Beth Moore study on the book of Daniel and I’m enjoying the study and the fellowship.  The homework that comes with this Bible study also gives me daily Bible time.  In the last couple of weeks I’ve had several lunch dates with family or friends.  I visit the gym a few times a week and other than that I’m just doing “normal” things like house work, running errands, etc.  I also have time to do very little, which is nice.  It’s not out of the realm of possibility to take a nap when I want to.  In all honesty, I’m doing well with my time.  Not only do I not mind being alone for periods of time, I actually enjoy it. 

As for my time with Drew, we really enjoy being together.  What a blessing it is to have such a relationship with my husband.  We have so much fun together and quite often one of us says something and immediately says, “I’m so glad I can say that to you.”  You know, the things that run through your mind that you can’t say to anyone else in the world for fear of being crass, ignorant or just plain silly?  It may be silly, but for us, “You are such a dork” means “I love you so much.”  For example, I may have hula hooped in the Wal-mart toy section while we were searching for JR’s birthday present last week.  Yep, I’m a dork and Drew loves it.   I think it’s more that he likes that that I can relax and be silly sometimes.  We really have fun together and I can wait for the weather to warm up so we can do more things outside. 

Now that we have removed the Disney and Nick channels from our television lineup, we are discovering other shows that we like.  Our current favorites… America Unearthed on History2, Alaska: The Last Frontier on Discovery and True Detectives on HBO.  I’ve also found that there is really very little on television during the day.  It’s a strange revelation, since I’ve been a stay at home mom for so long, but I haven’t really watched my own shows in a long time.  Now I know that I wasn’t missing out on anything!  Daytime television is pretty pitiful.  That’s okay, because I have more important and relevant things to do besides watch TV all day. 

This past weekend we attended our nephew JR’s 3rd birthday party.  I have some great pictures to share, but I’ll have to track down my camera cord before I can post them.  Stay tuned, because he’s a cutie. 

1 comment:

Jean Brklich said...

You are not a dork at all and neither is your husband. My hubby and I have that same sort of relationship, we'll look at each other and say "goofball". It's fun and relaxing. I love reading your updates.