"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Date Night

Last night Drew and I went on a date with Kyle & Misty.  We met for dinner, had an adult beverage and laughed a lot.  Then we went bowling.  I haven’t been bowling in years, so that was a lot of fun.  Of course, I’m the crazy camera lady, so I had to snap a few pics on my phone. 

skating6

skating7

Two games later, I was pretty well sucking it up (can you say “gutter ball”?) and we called it a night at the bowling alley.  We agreed that we were done bowling, but Kyle said he wasn’t ready to go home yet.  Leave it to me to make a comment about roller skating.  Oh, Mandy, what were you thinking?  Next thing you know, we were at the roller rink. 

When we pulled into the parking lot I made a relieved comment about how there weren’t very many cars there, but then I realized that was because 99.9% of all the people inside were not even of driving age!  Oh yeah, we were definitely the oldest people in the building (aside from the security/cop guy).  You should have seen the little kids stop what they were doing and look at us like we were aliens.  I just laughed so much at our very presence in such a place.  I laughed even harder as we put our skates on and I began to realize that this could be a disaster.  I laughed even harder when Drew & Kyle admitted that they were out of breath just leaning down far enough to lace those skates up.  Again, I had to take a few photos. 

skating5

skating4

I’m not sure what I was thinking here, but my face pretty well captures the excitement and horror of stepping out onto the rink. 

skating3

Whoever designed that rink and put benches on both sides of the rink should get a medal, because this old woman needed them!  Kyle roller bladed like he knew what he was doing and Misty held her own while Drew & I feared our ability to get back to the other side of the rink!  At one point we were all sitting on a bench on the far side…

skating1

skating2

Truth… I laughed so much that my face ached.  Truth… I was a bit afraid of the kids in that place and felt extreme gratefulness that my girls will never fall into the wrong crowd.  Truth… We were probably only there for a total of 30 minutes and that was plenty.  Truth… it was well worth the $7 admission for the four of us to laugh that much.  Truth… there was a time when I was 10 or 11 years old when I spent a good deal of time at a skating rink with my friends.  I was never an awesome skater, but I could hold my own.  Truth… skating is not like riding a bike and a person (namely me) can, in fact, lose the ability and skill required.  20+ years changes a lot.  Truth… none of us fell down and I consider that an extreme victory.  Truth… I don’t plan on going skating again any time soon. 

I needed ice cream after all that excitement, so we went to Braums together before heading home.  I’m not going to lie, my body feels 33 years old today.  I’m no athlete, but I’m a fairly active gal.  Nonetheless, I’m feeling my bowling muscles and whatever muscles I had to use to hold myself upright in those roller skates.  I think its also quite funny that all that fun last night earned me absolutely zero active minutes on my Fitbit.  Why is that funny?  Because you have to move quickly and consistently in order to earn those points and I couldn’t move that fast and stay upright!

I best start feeling better because we are going to have a house full of teenagers tonight for the UFC fight on pay per view.  That should be a fun time just because I love those McGaugh kids. 

No comments: