"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Let’s Eat!

I’ve had more social outings and have eaten out more in the last 6 weeks than I did in all of 2013.  It’s lots of fun and delicious.  It is filling out my figure. 

On Saturday night I had a girls night out with Cheryl, Heidi and Alissa at 28 Springs in downtown Siloam.  We had such a great time and ate some amazing food! 

phonefeb2014 310

phonefeb2014 311

On Sunday we went to Jessica & Jason’s house after church.  Oh, hot wings and cheese dip… there was little self control happening for that.  Let’s not even talk about the brownies covered with cream cheese icing. 

I’ve also found that getting to the gym isn’t quite as exhilarating now as it was before.  When Alex was alive I exercised when she had therapy.  I knew that I was going to go to the gym a X time on X days for X minutes.  Now, I have such freedom that my gym time isn’t nearly as scheduled.  I’m still going once or twice a week, I’m just not as enthused about it and not working quite as hard while I’m there.  Drew and I are still doing T25, though we are only doing it once or twice a week instead of 5 days a week.  My point?  I’m staying active, just not as active as I had thought I might or hoped I would. 

Combine my less than peppy workout attitude, lots of eating out and more free time to munch and I’m feeling the need to try a little harder.  I’m one of these people who believes that if you completely change everything about your life (extreme dieting, etc.) that your chances of success aren’t great.  In other words… baby steps.  I have no intention of living a life where I can’t have dessert or where I eat dessert and then feel guilty for it.  Sure, I would like to up my exercise habits, but I’m cutting myself some slack.  These transitions in my life are a lot to handle and I’m taking it a day at a time.  Moderation.  Balance.  Reasonable goals.  That’s my plan.  I’m not looking to be a Victoria’s Secret model, I just want to be healthy and active so I can enjoy this life God has given me. 

Specifically, I’ve decided to quit the sweet tea.  It’s like a gateway drug for me!  Sweet tea?  Sure, I’ll have a salty snack to go with it.  Salty snack?  Hmm, I could use something sweet to top it off.  Oh, my sweet tea is gone… better pour some more.  So, the sweet tea is no more.  Hey Drew, from now on the tea will NOT be sweet, so feel free to pour yourself a glass.  (He’s not a sweet tea fan.) 

There, that’s my baby step.  No more sugar in my iced tea (and that really is much more than I’d like to admit).  Continue my exercise and add in a little here and there to find my motivation again.  Drew and I are absurdly excited for the warmer temperatures that are forecasted in the next few days.  We have a date to play basketball in the street this weekend and I’m super duper looking forward to that! 

In other news… I finished our quilt Sunday night!  Wahoo!  Please forgive our messy bedroom, but we couldn’t wait to put it on the bed and I couldn’t not take a photo. 

phonefeb2014 309

Now I have to tidy up, change the bed skirt and accessorize to make it pretty!  Since I’ve got a picture of our bedroom here, I have to mention that we really love our mattress.  We’ve had it for a couple of months now and are really happy with it.  I think Drew and I would both highly recommend the Serta iComfort series if you are in the market for a new mattress.