"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, February 3, 2014

Pace Yourself

I’m definitely not a model runner, but I have given it more than a fair try in the last year and a half.  Despite my lack of stamina in running, surely I have at least learned this much… pace yourself.  Take it as a life lesson. 

We had a busy weekend and had tons of fun.  Heck, just our Friday night date with Kyle & Misty wore me out!  Saturday night we had 7 college kids from church over to watch the UFC fights.  It was great to see them all, since we’ve known many of them since they were just children.  By the time the fight was over and everyone went home it was after midnight.  I slept until 10 on Sunday morning, which doesn’t happen often these days.  So, I can’t say that I was terribly sad to see the snow falling and for our Super Bowl guests to cancel because of the roads.  Drew and I had a nice day at home together and I started working on our quilt again.  I pieced it before Christmas but hadn’t pulled it out again since Alex died.  I finally got it all pressed and then we had to move the table out of the dining room so that I would have enough room to lay it all out!  I told you it was massive and I wasn’t lying.  It took up the entire dining room floor, but Drew helped me stretch it all out and I got it pinned.  I’ve started quilting it and I’ll be so excited to have it finished and on our bed.  Of course, that could still be weeks away. 

The snow usually has a history of depressing me, but not today.  I know I could get out if I really wanted to.  That 4 wheel drive Tahoe in the driveway could handle it if I was so inclined.  Surprisingly, I’m not.  I’ve realized that having this project (or any project, I suppose) to work on keeps my hands busy, but it lets my mind rest a little.  It’s a good pace to keep.  I’ve really been doing quite well in figuring out what to do with myself, but I do find myself getting worn out when there is a lot much going on.  After Alex died someone suggested to me that I take time to rest. Not just in the days and weeks to come, but for months to come.  I guess that’s not bad advice and I’ve been trying to give myself permission to do that.  I am so very blessed to be in the position that I am and so grateful for my husband.  He has always worked so hard to provide for our family and that hasn’t changed as our family has.  He’s a rock star and that doesn’t escape me. 

So for today, I’m taking a running a slower pace and enjoying my now day. 

Drew just called and we registered for our trip to West Palm Beach for his President’s Club trip.  I’m so excited!  April will be a welcomed month!  We’ve decided to take a few days for ourselves after the company events, so now my mission is to figure out what we will do for those few extra days before flying home.  Florida sunshine, get ready for Mandy & Drew in April! 

1 comment:

Jean Brklich said...

I felt the same way about running, but after 2 1/2 years of it, I can't not run. If a day goes by without it, I feel lost. Pace yourself and stick with it. And try yoga, it has so helped with my running!

Jean