"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Quilting and Knitting

It’s occurred to me that if I don’t write then some people wonder if I’m doing okay.  So, here you go… I’m writing and I’m okay! 

I’ve been doing some major quilting this week.  I’m talking quilting til my fingers are so sore that I can’t continue.  After just a few days my fingers are finally toughening up and I’m on a roll.  Last night my fingers were so sore that I had to stop quilting, so I picked up a new project that I bought last week… knitting a hat.  Yeah, I said knitting.  A hat.  I felt like a nerd, but it seemed like a good idea.  I’m really surprised how much I liked doing it and how proud I was of the finished product.  Now, I did this with a loom that I bought at Hobby Lobby, so don’t think I’m cool enough to actually have knitting needles and know what I’m doing.  Drew’s Grandma Ann tried to teach me to knit when I was pregnant with Alex and that really didn’t go well, so I doubt my ability to pick it up now.  We shall see. 

Other than quilting and knitting hats, I’ve been doing normal household stuff.  You know, dishes, laundry, etc.  Exciting, no? 

Drew should be home from work in about an hour and we will do our T25 for the day.  We definitely aren’t doing our workouts on the prescribed schedule (25 minutes, 5 days a week), but a few days a week is better than no days a week.  As for my activity goal for the year, I’m amending it.  I really like my Fitbit and seeing my activity every day encourages me, but it isn’t very easy to track active activity minutes each day.  Also, I can bust my rear doing 25 minutes of exercise and only get credit for 3 very active minutes.  That’s because I have to be moving the device at a certain rate consistently for it to register.  So, here’s my amendment… I’m going to shoot for a certain number of steps each day.  Steps are counted by my movement (and based on my height and weight) and they are counted regardless of how quickly I am moving.  I remember reading somewhere that a person should aim for 10,000 steps a day.  Well, perhaps I’m just under active, because I don’t get nearly that.  On a day at home, just doing normal activities I may only get 2,000 steps.  (For the record, there are about 2300 Mandy steps in a mile.)  So, you see, I have to make an active effort to really get moving in order to get more steps each day.  Here’s my goal… 5,000 steps a day.  My weekly and monthly Fitbit reports give me total steps and also my daily average.  This will be much easier to keep track of and give me something to shoot for.  I know that there will be lazy days that I don’t reach that goal, but also days where I’m extra active when I get much more. 

It’s super cold here and I haven’t been out all day.  Winter isn’t much fun, but I can tough it out because I now know the exact dates of our Florida trip.  We will be in West Palm Beach on my birthday and I can’t think of a better way to spend my 34th than on the beach! 

No comments: