"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Without words

I was already out of bed, robe & slippers on and opening the back door for the dogs this morning before I had to stop and think (much too hard) about what day of the week it is.  The answer is Saturday.  It’s Saturday and I was up at 5:11am.  Awesome.  Oh well, keeping a routine is good for the body, right?  Even if it isn’t… I’m still up and awake.  Coffee is made, dogs are out and I can’t help but write for a bit. 

My mind is preoccupied and my heart is weighing heavy this morning for a dear friend who is struggling.  I’m really not a fan of offering up vague details, but that is what I have to do here.  God knows our hearts and if you add this person to your prayers then I am absolutely certain that He will know who you are praying for. 

I’ve had multiple times in my life when my heart felt this heavy (thought with different weight) and I found myself in prayer without words.  Romans tells us something about such times. 

“Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”  Romans 8:26

Here’s another verse with a similar sentiment. 

“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.”  Matthew 6:7

All I mean by sharing these verses is that we don’t need words to pray.  Your prayers don’t have to be “smart” or sound like poetry for God to hear them.  You don’t have to know what to say or what to ask for.  Just let your heart be open.  God knows. 

That’s my sermon for today. 

Drew and I don’t have any big plans for today.  It’s supposed to be a bit warmer outside, which pretty much means that all this snow and ice will start melting and making a muddy mess of things.  I am looking forward to having lunch with an old friend this afternoon.  Tomorrow we have after church lunch plans with Drew’s sister.  Aside from these things, I’m on a mission to finish our quilt.  I’m SO close! 

No comments: