"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, March 27, 2014

2 Years

Two years ago this evening we said goodbye to Emma.  I don’t have words, so I will just leave it at this… I still miss my sassy Emma so very very much. 

Drew has been working from home the last two days because his office is moving to a new location.  Working from home means that he gets a lot done without distraction and it also means that when 5pm rolls around that he is ready to do something.  Tuesday evening he replaced our front door with the door that we took out of the wall in the garage.  I liked my front door, but it was wood and original to the house.  It was pretty, but not very energy efficient.  The new (reused) door is steel and really much better.  The house is quieter, there is no draft and the door opens and closes much easier.  Yesterday evening he finished the trim around the door and now all that’s left to do is for me to touch up the paint.  Drew sure is a handy fella to have around. 

As I said I would, I went to the gym yesterday.  I put more effort into it than I have been, but I’ll have to work back up to where I need/want to be.  I have also adjusted my step goal for each day.  I’ve had my Fitbit set to a 5,000 step daily goal and have been meeting that.  On days when I did little to nothing then I only had about 3,000 steps, but on days when I was extra busy or did make it to the gym I could have 7,000+ steps.  On my weekly reports I have continuously averaged 5,000+ steps a day.  Experts recommend 10,000 steps a day, but that just didn’t seam realistic for me for a while.  I’ve now set my daily goal at 10,000 steps a day.  That is just over 4 miles a day.  I know that some days I will not make it, but other days I will likely surpass it.  Doing my normal daily activities and adding in about 30 minutes of exercise should insure that I meet my goal each day.  I think that increasing my physical activity will make me feel better both physically & mentally and increase my energy level.  Funny how that works, isn’t it?  Using more energy gives you more energy?  I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t experienced it. 

Another good thing about exercise?  I’m less likely to eat a load of junk when I’ve been exercising.  When I feel healthy and energized then I want to eat food that makes me feel healthy and energized.  I don’t typically crave as much junk when I exercise regularly, but even when I do I don’t feel as much guilt over indulging.  It’s way more enjoyable to have an indulgent treat now and then than to eat that stuff all the time.  I’m making a real effort to get my health back on track, but I’m not going crazy.  Make no mistake, I have full intention of eating lobster mac & cheese on our vacation.  It will happen and I won’t feel bad about it.  No, no, I will feel really really good about eating something so delicious. 

Speaking of vacation… we are just over a week away from boarding a plane and heading to West Palm Beach!  I’m ready to start packing, but Drew would probably poke fun at me.  Wait… who cares!  Let’s start packing! 

I’ve heard that a person shouldn’t put vacation plans out there for others to know about ahead of time.  Just in case any of you have something naughty planned when you know we will be away… I have some lovely and very nosy neighbors that will notice if someone is at my house.  I also have 3 dogs who love to bark and make a ruckus when strangers get too close.  I’m not saying we will or won’t, but you should also know that Drew and I aren’t above rigging some Home Alone type traps for anyone who dares to enter. 

No comments: