"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, March 21, 2014

Mullet

Two weeks from this Sunday I will be on a plane to West Palm Beach.  I will ring in my 34th birthday while laying on a beautiful beach with an adult beverage in my hand.  That sounds perfect to me. 

Yesterday I went to Tulsa with mom to shop for a swim suit, a pair of sandals and a tie for Drew.  I did find a swimsuit.  As often happens, the one I purchased is nothing like what I thought I was looking for.  I tried on 6 swimsuits.  Five of them were quite similar… black or navy blue with details that I hoped would hide or hold in all the things that needed to be hidden or held in.  The sixth suit was the only one of its kind and I just happened to stumbled upon it on a rack.  It was cute, though I wasn’t sure it would work.  Anyway, I tried it and really liked it the best.  It doesn’t look like what I had in mind, but it accomplishes all the necessary things and it’s cute.  Check that off the list. 

A tie for Drew and two pairs of sandals for me and the shopping list was complete.  By the way, I love that I came home with two pairs of sandals and Drew was perfectly happy for me.  In fact, he would have given me a hard time if I came home with nothing.  You see, I tend to go shopping with good intentions and then get flustered and buy nothing.  Finding two pairs that I liked and actually purchased was a good thing!  As far as I can tell right now, I’m set for our trip!  Well, not counting buckets of sunscreen and Dramamine. 

Wait, why do I need Dramamine?  Well, let me tell you.  We decided that we would take advantage of all the activities available during the company portion of our trip.  Last year we chose a spa day, so this year I happily agreed to a day deep sea fishing.  We talked about this at length and Drew assured me that it was a group activity, so the boat would be large to hold our large group of people.  Guess what?  He was wrong!  We got our itinerary this week and the details have me in a tizzy.  The deep sea fishing is limited to 6 people.  Six!  Six people will not require a BIG boat!  All I can hear is the theme song to Gilligan’s Island running through my brain.  I get motion sick anyway, but a boat that only holds 6 people bouncing around in the ocean with no land in sight is liable to push my limits… my motion sickness limits and my anxiety limits.  Perhaps I should acquire a Xanax to take along with my Dramamine.   I’m not going to back out, but this is really pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone.  I’m trying to remember this is a good thing. 

This weekend we are taking on the challenge of tearing down the wall in the garage that we put up years ago to create a playroom for the girls.  It will require moving shelving, ripping up carpet, tearing down a wall and rerouting a few electrical things.  Perhaps you all should pray for me.  I tend to injure myself in these situations.  Or pray that I don’t accidentally injure Drew.  That aside, I will surely look adorable wearing my overalls. 

Our back porch is one of my favorite things about our house.  It is screened in and really pretty wonderful.  A while back I got some different patio lights to hang back there and it’s just plain fun.  Every time we are back there one of us makes a comment about it feeling like a party.  Drew cracked me up when he said our house is like a mullet… business in the front, party in the back! 

No comments: