"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, March 10, 2014

Repeat After Me…

I WILL NOT COLOR MY OWN HAIR. 

Ever.  Don’t do it.  Don’t color your own hair.  I don’t care what the circumstance is.  Just don’t do it. 

I spent 5 hours and 15 minutes at the salon on Friday.  I seem to be the queen of selfies lately, because I made sure to take these. 

Before:

hairbefore

It started with stripping the nearly black hair color that I’ve been applying myself for the last year.  Kendra put this goo all over my head and I sat under the dryer for 30 or 45 minutes.  The chemicals made my eyes burn and my nose run like crazy.  Check… apply more goo and do it again.  Rinse.  Dry. 

hairduring

Yep, frizzy (that’s normal) and very coppery hair.  Next step… apply new color.  Sit for another chunk of time, rinse, dry, straighten, trim…

hairafter

The picture looks pretty good, right?  I thought so, too.  Here’s the catch… the very brassy and copper color that was revealed after stripping the black is really shining through.  Maybe I should say it is “glowing” through.  Bright light and sunshine make it even more obvious.  Kendra told me that she thought it was going to be too brassy before we even had my hair completely dried.  I didn’t see it then, but I see it now.  Heck, I can’t miss it.  For those who aren’t familiar with my terminology, by brassy and coppery I mean that it is reddish/orange and glowing.  I gave it two full days before finally texting Kendra and admitting that she was right… I can’t handle it.  Hopefully Kendra can get me back in fairly soon and we can achieve the brown with a touch of blonde that we were aiming for.  Mark me down for a few more hours at the salon.  Kendra is playing the part of fairy godmother here, expect her magic wand takes a little longer than the blink of an eye. 

Like I said… don’t color your own hair.  I don’t care what the excuse is.  Okay, if your oldest and only living child is sick and dying and you can’t find 2-3 hours to spend at the salon then maybe I will give you a pass to color your own hair.  Maybe.  But ladies, I highly recommend that you don’t do it.  Men, it’s my personal opinion that you shouldn’t color your hair under any circumstances… your gray is distinguished and attractive, so there’s no need. 

The silver lining is that more time at the salon is more time hanging with the lovely ladies at Shear Wild.  Oh, how I love them. 

Moving on… I started off Friday thinking that my cold was going away.  It wasn’t.  By Friday evening I was feeling pretty yucky.  Saturday morning was a snot fest and that just continued all weekend.  Drew and I stayed home all weekend and fiddled around the house as I felt up to it.  Today I’m feeling a lot better and I’m almost certain that it is because I’ve been doing the nasal rinse thing.  I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me to do it at the first sign of this cold, but it didn’t.  My Grandma B suggested the netti pot and that is what reminded me.  I don’t have a netti pot, but I’ve done the nasal rinse thing in the past and it has helped a lot.  You need a cup of warm water with a bit of salt in it and a nasal syringe (a CLEAN one).  Squirt that solution up each nostril and then blow your nose like your life depends on it.  It helps so much.  Sorry for all the snot talk, but it’s been the center of my weekend.  I’m feeling much less yucky this morning. 

One thing we did do this weekend… recover the old chair in Drew’s office.  The Hogs played basketball Saturday afternoon, but it was only being aired on ESPN3.  We hung out in Drew’s office to watch it online while we worked on the chair.  I forgot to take a before picture, but here is a pillow of what the fabric looked like before…

chairA

A few weeks ago I found a perfect remnant at Hobby Lobby and got everything we needed for less than $10.  In progress…

chairB

The finished product…

chairC 

Nice, right?  I’m pretty happy with it. 

Over the last two weekends we have spent a lot of time working on the girls’ old room.  It took two coats of Kilz and one coat of the new paint, but that part is done.  I’m slowly getting the old playroom cleaned out and things moved into my new craft room/office.  My favorite thing is my homemade craft table, but I’ll wait until I have everything together before I share pictures and tell you all about it. 

1 comment:

Tsuds said...

:) I hear you there on doing my hair at home! My 'natural' colour these days is snow white and the shop bought dyes just go translucent on it.

That was an experiment I don't wish to repeat.