"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Autism Awareness

Today is autism awareness day.  I spent so much of Alex & Emma’s lives in the physical, occupational and speech therapy world and have met so many amazing children, parents and therapists.  Because of this, autism is on my radar.  I also have had the privilege of knowing a little boy at church since we was born.  He is now a 10 year old boy, diagnosed with autism and working hard every day to be exactly who God created him to be.  Avery, his parents and his siblings spend much time raising autism awareness and you can follow his journey on facebook by liking his group “Avery’s Project”. 

I would venture to say that for many people the definition of autisms is fuzzy, at best.  I’m absolutely no expert, but I feel like it is very important for everyone to be more aware.  The latest statistics say that 1 in 68 children is on the autism spectrum.  That’s unbelievable to me.  1 in 198 girls and 1 in 42 boys.  Unbelievable. 

Like I said, I’m no expert.  What I do know is this… autism is not a diagnosis where one size fits all.  It is a spectrum disorder, meaning that symptoms and their severity can vary greatly from person to person.  Early diagnosis is very beneficial and there are many resources available to children and their families.  I think it’s also important to point out that these children will grow/are growing/have grown into adults who may need/require/benefit from these resources and treatments. 

This is still a controversial diagnosis and situation, since it seems that there is much debate over what causes it and how to treat it.  That doesn’t change the fact that it IS happening. 

I would like to recommend that you all click on the link below and learn more about autism.  It’s not something that only happens to other people.  It is happening all around you and the world can be a better place if we all make an effort to better understand, lessen judgment, lend support and raise awareness. 

www.autismspeaks.org

No comments: