"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Birthday Survey

The local news is talking a lot about the renaming of I540.  Starting today it will be I49 with the goal being that eventually that interstate will run from Louisiana to Canada.  That’s all fine, but it will be interesting to see how people around here refer to it.  For those of us that have lived in and around Fayetteville for 30 years may always refer to that portion as “the bypass”. 

I’m not a tiny bit ashamed about the lengthy nap I took yesterday.  I was so worn out after our weekend of home improvement!  In case I don’t say it enough, I am extremely grateful to have the privilege of napping.  I really love naps.  Like, a lot.  Drew and I have quite a traditional relationship and we like it that way.  I like being the girl.  I very much appreciate how hard he works and how well he provides for our family.  His hard work gives me the ability to be there for our friends and family who need me, to be a housewife (and no, I don’t think that’s a bad word) and even to take a nap when I need or want one.  I’ve got it pretty good around here, y’all. 

I’m hoping to do some yard work today and keep working to get my new garden area ready to plant in the next couple of weeks.  If I succeed in growing even one edible vegetable this summer then we may have a full on celebration! 

It occurred to me yesterday that last year, on my birthday, I took a birthday survey and said that I would do it each year.  Yes, I know those things are usually meant for kiddos, but sometimes I feel like a kid.  Here is the link to last year’s survey…

http://dmaeharris.blogspot.com/2013/05/questions.html

Here is my 34th birthday survey, without looking at last year’s answers…

1. Who is your favorite person in the whole world?

Drew Harris.  100%

2. What is your favorite color? 

The pinkish/purplish of the sunset.  It reminds me of my girls.

3. What is your favorite television show? 

Drew and I like to watch Naked & Afraid (it’s a survivalist reality show), Bates Motel, River Monsters, Homeland, True Detectives.  Reruns of Modern Family.  And yes, I still watch Grey’s Anatomy. 

4. What is your favorite outfit? 

My bright orange Nike running shorts and a dri-fit shirt.  Anything that goes with my black sparkly flip flops (and let’s face it, they go with everything). 

5. What sport do you like best? 

I would rather play basketball, but I’m cool with watching pretty well any sport.  My favorite sporting event to go to would be baseball. 

6. What song do you love? 

At this particular moment, I like the happy song by Pharrell.  I’m pretty sure that Alex would have loved it, so it makes me smile. 

7. What is your favorite cereal? 

I recently tried Fiber One granola cereal and it’s pretty yummy. 

8. Who is your best friend? 

My husband.  Of course. 

9.  What do you want to be when you grow up? 

I think that what you are isn’t nearly as important as who you are.  But, if I have to answer the “what” question then my answer is absolutely… Happy & humble.

10.  What is your favorite book?

I love to read, but my all time favorite is Walden by Thoreau

11. What are you really good at? 

I hate that I even hesitate to say this.  I don’t hesitate because of my own beliefs, but because we live in society that values accomplishment, equality and status.  For some reason, what I’m about to say is sometimes seen as old fashioned and not progressive.  No matter, my answer is… being a wife.  I am really good at being Drew’s wife and I take pride in how I care for our home, the support I give my husband and the loving relationship that we share. 

12. Where do you wish you could go on vacation?

I love the ocean.  Love it.  I’m always up for a new beach getaway. 

13. What is your best memory? 

That is almost impossible to say.  My life has been unimaginably blessed and I have a lifetime of beautiful memories from my childhood, my 17 year relationship with Drew and my 11 years as a mommy.  I have big & shiny memories of vacations and I have warm & intimate memories of pajama days & snuggles.  I can’t put the label of “best” on any particular one. 

14. What would you buy if you had $1,000?

There’s always something that would be fun.  Maybe a shiny new laptop?  A guitar?  Chances are that I would put that money towards paying off a student loan or putting up a privacy fence. 

15. What vegetable do you hate the most? 

I don’t know.  There are a lot that I like and a lot that I’ve never tried.  One thing I don’t like is cabbage.  It smells funny and I don’t particularly care for it. 

16. If you could have a wish, what would it be? 

I don’t like this question.  What defines a wish?  Something that could rationally and possibly happen?  I don’t spend my time wishing for things that can’t happen.  Should we spend any time wishing for life to be different or to have things that we don’t currently have?  I don’t know.  I’d feel more comfortable with words like dreams, aspirations, goals or desires. 

Whatever, I’m over thinking this.  I would wish for a boat.  A fishing boat with room for me to either fish with Drew or kick back and relax on the lake. 

17. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Rocky Road from Braum’s

18. Who is your biggest hero? 

I haven’t read my answers from last year, but I would imagine that I had a problem with this question last year, too.  Calling someone your hero puts them on a pedestal that isn’t fair to confine them to.   I could pick someone in my life or someone famous, but I’m going to rock the boat here and say… Iron Man.  Beat that. 

19. What do you like to do best with your friends? 

Eat.  Eating is an excellent thing to do with friends. 

20. What do you hope you get to do before your next birthday?

Travel to a place I’ve never been before. 

No comments: