"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Saturday

I’m still recovering from my over ambitious Wednesday.  My walk with Cheryl was great.  Mowing the yard was great.  Working in the flower bed was great.  Doing it all in less than 8 hours was dumb.  I’ve been feeling frustrated that doing all of that has made me feel so rotten.  It was almost like a flu feeling, in that I was just so worn out, exhausted and achy.  I slept most of Thursday, but yesterday I went about my business.  I don’t feel awesome, but I’m much better. 

Drew and I have very specific plans to have no big plans today.  We got a pork butt and he is going to give smoking meat a try in the smoker that I got him for Christmas.  Fingers crossed that we have a super yummy dinner tonight. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about our vacation.  I think I need to back up on some things that I said about The Breakers and the wealth.  I think that I may have come off quite judgmental towards the excessiveness of it all.  It’s true that much of it made me uncomfortable, but I didn’t intend to use such a broad brush to paint the picture.  If I thought that any of the people there were judging me on where I am from or the life that we live then I wouldn’t like that.  I shouldn’t presume to do the same.  What’s the song say?  “It take all kinds of kinds.” 

In that spirit, let me list the things that I loved the most about our days at The Breakers resort. 

  • knowing that how hard Drew worked last year was being acknowledged with such an event
  • sunshine, palm trees, beautiful beaches and the sound of the ocean waves
  • spending my birthday on the beach beside my husband
  • the breath taking sunrise when we got up early to go fishing
  • fishing!  That was actually my favorite big event of the trip.  (and I would just like to point out, again, that I didn’t panic over the size of the boat or get sick while on the boat) 
  • people watching
  • sneaking out of the last formal dinner night early to sit by the ocean with Drew

We did have such a nice time and I just wanted to take the time to say it again. 

No comments: