"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, April 18, 2014

Windows

Today is window day at our house!  We’ve moved all the necessary furniture away from the windows and removed curtains and blinds.  When I say ‘we’ I pretty much mean Drew.  We feel a bit exposed this morning, knowing that anyone outside can see into every room of our home.  No worries.  I remembered to change into my real clothes (and not just sweat pants and a bath robe) BEFORE we took the blinds down.  That’s a win. 

The install guys are supposed to be here by 8 and say that all of our windows and the back door will be a one day job.  I hope so.  Drew is going in to the office today, so my job is to be here all day, stay out of their way and lock the dogs on or off the back porch as needed to keep them out of the way.  I told Drew that I may just lounge on the couch like a princess and make comments like, “You missed a spot.  That’s crooked.  Are you sure you know what you are doing?  I think that’s backwards.  Be careful.  Don’t mess this up.”  Drew is begging me to do no such thing.  In all likelihood I will try to stay out of the way and read my book all day. 

I finished the first book of our vacation while sitting at DFW.  Since I didn’t predict this, my other books were in our checked luggage (the luggage that got wet and required me to lay out my books to dry before reading).  So, after I finished my first book, I bought another book from a gift shop.  I finished that book, Miss Peregirine’s Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.  It is so very strange and I love it.  I was pleased to finish it and find that the second book in the series was released this January.  I didn’t have access to it on vacation, so I had to put that on hold and read one of the other books that I brought (and dried out).  Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.  I had read a review online and thought I’d give the series a try.  It’s okay.  It’s the first of four books in the series and I have the second one waiting for me (for a dollar, thanks to Once Upon a Time Books).  Now, here’s the dilemma… I found the second book in the Peculiar Children series at Wal-Mart and I’m dying to start it.  Do I continue with the Uglies series (you know, for continuity) or do I go back to the Peculiar series because I like it better?  The worst part is that I’m sure this isn’t the last book in the Peculiar series and once I’m done with this second one I will be left wanting more and having to wait. 

Never mind.  This is very much a first world problem and it really isn’t a problem.  I’m going to start book two of Peculiar Children.  Want to know how crazy I am?  When I read a book that I am really in to, it starts melding with my real life.  I see a black bird and I can’t help but wonder if I’m about to be drawn into a time loop.  Okay, you probably have no idea what I’m talking about.  Anyway, I like the book and recommend it if you enjoy an imaginative adventure. 

Other first world problems… finger nails.  I haven’t had tips (fake finger nails) in years.  I feel pretty with them, but have found it a bit more difficult than I remembered.  Picking up bobby pins or coins?  Difficult.  Relearning how to type?  Difficult.  Weeding the flower bed while wearing a pair of Drew’s too-big-for-me work gloves to protect my pretty nails?  Difficult.  Being pretty is hard work.  Ha ha. 

No comments: